MaxTrax, are they worth it?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
So I see nearly every overlanding rig these days with at least one set of Maxtrax's if not two. Are they worth the $300 price tag per set? Can you get by without them, or is there a better alternative? I've seen others talking about aluminum ones, but those don't sound as durable to me. Does another manufacturer make a similar product for less that's just as good if not better?

I apologize if this comes off as a silly question to some, but spending $600 for two sets just to park on them at night seems a little ridiculous. Help clarify the reasoning/need for this purchase for me.

chet6.7

Explorer
When you are stuck with no help around $600 is worth it.Check out this channel the maxtrax are used fairly often on some well set up rigs with experienced drivers.Check out 22.52 in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy5vZ9BiRwk

Maxtrax is coming out with a new version with some metal in a few months.I don't think the other brands that are similar to MTX are a good as MTX,based on reviews I have seen.I think the youtube channel I posted reviewed some different brands some time ago.

v_man

Explorer
They're hit and miss in my opinion. I've seen them perform poorly in snowy and wet conditions, but plenty of videos out there where they save the day. At the 600 dollar price point you're nearly to a winch, which I feel is pretty fool proof if you're stuck, as long as you have something to yank off.

Theoretician

Adventurer
Crux Off road makes some aluminum traction aids that can act as bridging ladders, hold up to wheel spin, and have spikes (for lack of a better word) at the corners to bite into ice and such. They aren't but 50% more expensive than a pair of MaxTrax, which seems like a no-brainer to me.

Speaking of the idea in general, traction aids make a lot of sense. They very nearly obviate the need for a winch, the exception being the worst or most technical of conditions. If you're pretty good about staying in groups and not getting stuck on your own then I figure that a traction aid will handle any situations where you weren't paying enough attention. If you get stuck all the time then you probably want a winch.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Hell yes. I was stuck in the snow. I have winch but there was nothing to winch to. Max trax and a hi lift got me out. When you're stuck and there is no one around to help suddenly the cost of the max trax seems pretty cheap.

Mo4130

Adventurer
Like everything. When you're really stuck there is no right tool that's a one and done. Maxtrax are just another tool to use. And yes they are worth it.

Kevin108

Explorer
Buy something cheaper to start with and see if they fit your needs. The GoTreads I picked up at Expo East 2016 have really impressed me. ~$100 a pair. https://gotreads.com/product/gotreads-2-pack/ You can customize the length and if you ruin a section, they're repairable with new pieces. I've not needed them with the FJ, but I've provided assistance with them a dozen times or so. And the cats like them too. lol

2016-10-19 08.30.40.JPG

Last edited:

35xj

Adventurer
I was in the same boat, until,I burried my 10,000lb dodge 2500 with 4 wheel camper frame deep,in the sand in Mexico. Nothing to winch too.
20 dollar shovel and 2'pairs of maxtrax, I was out in an hour

Aussie Iron

Explorer
So I see nearly every overlanding rig these days with at least one set of Maxtrax's if not two. Are they worth the $300 price tag per set? Can you get by without them, or is there a better alternative? I've seen others talking about aluminum ones, but those don't sound as durable to me. Does another manufacturer make a similar product for less that's just as good if not better?

I apologize if this comes off as a silly question to some, but spending $600 for two sets just to park on them at night seems a little ridiculous. Help clarify the reasoning/need for this purchase for me.

Not Maxtrax's, the same idea but heavier for our trucks. And yes they are worth it.

First video I was intenionally trying to get it bogged down as much as I could. The second video I hadn't let any air out of the tyres as we were just trying to get of the road to camp.
Dan.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I am a bit torn about traction boards; never having actually needed them.
When I see vehicles with street/all terrain tires I figure that there is a reason they have the boards.
...since I am getting away from very aggressive mud tires (switching to merely mud tires) I may need to re-evaluate; but since I don't snow wheel in bumper deep and deeper snow anymore and powder sand is rare locally I'm probably relatively safe; even without a winch... the DD has a selectable locker and limited slip though...

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles