MaxTrax, are they worth it?

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Used my MaxTrax last week to get some guy's F150 4X out of the Gila River bed is AZ. Couldn't just leave him there, so the MaxTrax saved me the trouble of digging out straps and shackles. Always try the easy way first. He was suitably amazed.

Ray_G

Explorer
I'm not sure that knowing some friends who got seriously stuck one time in South America is an indictment on maxtrax-nor does it equate to 'serious world travelers' carrying bridging ladders vice them.

Bridging ladders have a place and purpose, and like maxtrax offer some benefits while at the same time being a compromise. Just like every modification done on a vehicle.

As far as cheap copies and imitations go; they too have a place-but my experience is they also tend to break and disappoint whereas I have continued to see MT get abused and still function quite well.

For their size, weight, ability to be stored and functionality to me they still represent the best option on the market when all the factors are taken into account for most folks in most situations. The exceptions prove the rule.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure that knowing some friends who got seriously stuck one time in South America is an indictment on maxtrax-nor does it equate to 'serious world travelers' carrying bridging ladders vice them.

Bridging ladders have a place and purpose, and like maxtrax offer some benefits while at the same time being a compromise. Just like every modification done on a vehicle.

As far as cheap copies and imitations go; they too have a place-but my experience is they also tend to break and disappoint whereas I have continued to see MT get abused and still function quite well.

For their size, weight, ability to be stored and functionality to me they still represent the best option on the market when all the factors are taken into account for most folks in most situations. The exceptions prove the rule.

Funny how you dont see maxtrax on many international travels.
I dont see how you can give any advantage to Maxtrax over bridging ladders where its easy to see the advantage with bridging ladders. Most of the examples I have seen with maxtrax could of handled just by airing down properly for the conditions.

Ray_G

Explorer
Funny how you dont see maxtrax on many international travels.
I dont see how you can give any advantage to Maxtrax over bridging ladders where its easy to see the advantage with bridging ladders. Most of the examples I have seen with maxtrax could of handled just by airing down properly for the conditions.

That depends on what you mean.

If we are being purely anecdotal (b/c we are thus far), I saw plenty of maxtrax when traveling internationally-b/c they were on my truck. Could I have carried bridging ladders, sure-but it wasn't as elegant a solution for the purpose of the vehicle, where it was used, etc.

Clearly you feel different. Cool.

That doesn't obviate the utility of maxtrax in favor of bridging ladders however-all of which is fairly well documented in respected magazines covering international travel. Like OJ Gear Guide 2018, for example.

GB_Willys_2014

Used my MaxTrax last week to get some guy's F150 4X out of the Gila River bed is AZ. Couldn't just leave him there, so the MaxTrax saved me the trouble of digging out straps and shackles. Always try the easy way first. He was suitably amazed.

I was out around the Gila last weekend. The water is really low, so I see how someone may be tempted to cross it. The mud on the other hand ...

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
That depends on what you mean.

If we are being purely anecdotal (b/c we are thus far), I saw plenty of maxtrax when traveling internationally-b/c they were on my truck. Could I have carried bridging ladders, sure-but it wasn't as elegant a solution for the purpose of the vehicle, where it was used, etc.

Clearly you feel different. Cool.

That doesn't obviate the utility of maxtrax in favor of bridging ladders however-all of which is fairly well documented in respected magazines covering international travel. Like OJ Gear Guide 2018, for example.

Im sure they look cool on your truck and if they give you a feeling of security Im happy for you. My real world experience does not view them the same as you. No worries that why we have choices(y)Safe travels

Ray_G

Explorer
Im sure they look cool on your truck and if they give you a feeling of security Im happy for you. My real world experience does not view them the same as you. No worries that why we have choices(y)Safe travels

Exactly, clearly we have different real world experiences.

My real world experience doesn't care about how they look-rather how they perform given the intended purpose.

If we were talking looks alone, I don't think anyone would bring bridging ladders into the discussion unless they wanted their truck to look like it was moving scaffolding. Which might make some happy I suppose.

So to the point of this thread; are they worth it? It depends on what you plan on doing, where you plan on doing it, who you plan on doing it with, and how much time you want to take to do it. I think most would say with all those variables: yes.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Not sure about them being worth it but if you are stuck and they help to get you out then they are probably worth it. I did not get them but instead I got something like Marston mats (billet 4x4 sand ladder) that I made brackets for that fit under my Front Runner roof rack. The MaxTrax will not fit under the FR rack and the top of the rack is used for many more things, more often when camping.
The photos give a reasonable view of their placement.
There is an end piece that secures them in place where the bolts extend so that they are pressed between pieces of wood on each end to eliminate rattles.

Attachments

• DSC04856.JPG
    DSC04856.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 108
  • DSC04858.JPG
    DSC04858.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 104
  • DSC04859.JPG
    DSC04859.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
In the end, I kinda wish more people just carried some form of self recovery device. Why? You can always tell when spring comes to the mountains and the snow melts. There's all sorts of trash left on the trails, road side, parking lots, etc.... that was used to get flatlanders unstuck. They usually use their floor mats, trunk carpets, jackets, cardboard, tree limbs, bark, etc and don't bother cleaning it up once they get out. So, while I'm partial to MT's, (and run old military helicopter landing mats on my Sami) I'd really just like it if people came prepared when heading out in the snow.
IMG_0917.JPG

GkraneTX

I use the X-Bull 10t ones for the sand and they work excellent. Bought 2 sets for 160$. Savings of $440 vs Maxtrax on recovery boards is quite a bit of money to put towards other equipment that get used much more often. The build quality seems top notch as well.

GB_Willys_2014

MAXTRAX are not designed to be used as a Bridge or Ramp.

When used per our Instructions, MAXTRAX are designed and warranted for standard 4×4 and light-trucks around 3500kg or 7750lbs. However we know of a few customers who have used them successfully in sand on expedition trucks (Unimogs, Hinos and Fusos) weighing in excess of 6000kg and even the occasional semi-trailer and garbage truck without damage.

Instructions & Warranty Info

Stumbled across this Dahl video, and bridging is discussed.

He suggests stacking 3 to 4 MAXTRAX for safely bridging.

Hadn't thought of that, but then I only carry 2.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I ordered my second pair of X-Bulls the other day (I ordered the first pair to see if I'd like them - and I did), and they arrived today (that was quick), so now I have two pair (four total) in olive green. So now I am a real Overlander (said tongue in cheek for those diving for the reply button). I've never used any of these things before, and other than internet videos, I've never seen any used in real life (we always used winches or snatch-straps). But I was watching one video where they used them in snow, and he ("Clay" - the famous expedition guy) said how it was so much more safer and quicker than pulling a winch (and in this case, a snatch strap wasn't really an option). So I was sold on the concept after that. But not enough to where I was going to spend over $600 for four of these things (hence the X-Bulls).

I would never say these are in any way better than a MaxTrax other than they are much less expensive. On a lot of posts, folks with the X-Bulls have nothing but praises for them. And I've never read anything bad about the MaxTrax. I guess we'll see first time I need to pull them out and use them. I do know you can buy three (almost four) pairs of X-Bulls for one pair of MaxTrax.

Right now they're on the Jeep's rooftop basket, but I'm going to make a way to mount them on the top of my lil' trailer (under the RTT). And if we take the wife's Subaru (Crosstrek) up into snow country, I'll either toss them in the back, or strap them to the roof for just-in-case.

The X-Bulls today also came with an unexpected gift - a little folding Army shovel. Perfect for tossing in the back of the Subaru (in the back under with the spare tire).

Attachments

• X-bull.3.jpg
    X-bull.3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
  • X-bull.1.jpg
    X-bull.1.jpg
    724.6 KB · Views: 89
  • drive.13.jpg
    drive.13.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
So I figured out a way to keep them secured on my little trailer. They are mounted under the RTT on the trailer's lid similar to how they're mounted on the Jeep's roof rack. I used four 1/4" fully-threaded 2" long bolts (cut down to 1.75") for each side, along with metal and rubber washers, split washers, nylocks, and 1.25" long vacuum caps for 1/4" vacuum lines (these were the longest vacuum caps I could find). Since the X-Bulls stack on top of each other, I really only needed to capture the bottom one with the rubber covered bolts. Then it was just a matter of strapping them down. I'm sure you can do the same with the Max Trax or any other version. The pictures should tell the story.

I need to get some padding to put under the X-Bulls when they're on the trailer's lid to protect the lid (probably from Harbor Freight - their foam shop floor mats cut-to-size).

Attachments

• X-bull.7.jpg
    X-bull.7.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 64
  • X-bull.8.jpg
    X-bull.8.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
  • X-bull.9.jpg
    X-bull.9.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 66
  • X-bull.6.jpg
    X-bull.6.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 67
  • X-bull.4.jpg
    X-bull.4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
  • X-bull.5.jpg
    X-bull.5.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I ordered my second pair of X-Bulls the other day (I ordered the first pair to see if I'd like them - and I did), and they arrived today (that was quick), so now I have two pair (four total) in olive green. So now I am a real Overlander (said tongue in cheek for those diving for the reply button). I've never used any of these things before, and other than internet videos, I've never seen any used in real life (we always used winches or snatch-straps). But I was watching one video where they used them in snow, and he ("Clay" - the famous expedition guy) said how it was so much more safer and quicker than pulling a winch (and in this case, a snatch strap wasn't really an option). So I was sold on the concept after that.

I would never say these are in any way better than a MaxTrax other than they are much less expensive. On a lot of posts, folks with the X-Bulls have nothing but praises for them. And I've never read anything bad about the MaxTrax. I guess we'll see first time I need to pull them out and use them. I do know you can buy three (almost four) sets of X-Bulls for one pair of MaxTrax.

Right now they're on the Jeep's rooftop basket, but I'm going to make a way to mount them on the top of my lil' trailer (under the RTT). And if we take the wife's Subaru (Crosstrek) up into snow country, I'll either toss them in the back, or strap them to the roof for just-in-case.

The X-Bulls today also came with an unexpected gift - a little folding Army shovel. Perfect for tossing in the back of the Subaru (in the back under with the spare tire).
I looking at these X-Bull Tracks all be it that they have another name and they are costing about $165.00, No one seems to have the MaxTrax so these are my best option, I did find some that are about $85/90.00 a pair but I am not sure if they have enough grip, See below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Du...m=273145653240&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior