Maxi-Drive axles, etc.

SCRover

Adventurer
Anybody know who, if anyone, is making the axles, drag links, lockers, etc. that were produced by Maxi-Drive Engineering (out of the Land of Oz) until they closed down in '06 or '07?

I did a little search and determined that an MDE employee named "Barry" was going to be making these components on his own. Don't know if this was/is the case...

Thor

Observer
my Maxi-Drive axles were just pre-emtively removed and replaced with RoverTracks front axle/CV this Oct!

When they were pulled they had a 1/4 twist judging by the straight line scribed on them when installed... and the right CV was 'crunchy'.

The size and stout-ness of the RoverTracks items were quite noticeably larger and from what I understand metallurgically speaking, far superior.

Thor

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Are they making the low range gears for the LT230 as well?

C

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I was one of the test rigs for CV Unlimited years ago- which were great!! And have used Keith's since (CV sold their design)without issue. There was a considerable amount of data printed a while back, and Keith's are actually much stronger than D60 stuff, not to start a war... And lastly, I have taken a set of Keith's axle to a friend at Uwharrie when he broke his Ashcroft's :)

SCRover

Adventurer
my MDE axle is fine - looks good. Maine110 on here used to own my truck and he did all the mods, I believe. Jesse, are you out there?

my CV isn't actually bad, but it got waterlogged and was without grease. while we're on the subject, you guys think i could get by for now just repacking the sucker and putting it back?

ultimately, i'll likely go with Keith's stuff.

thanks for the info, LandTortoise! you have any knowledge as to whether the components are as well-made as those produced by MDE?

Viggen

Just here...
Ive got the HD Ashcrofts in the D1 and will probably be looking at upgrading to HD fronts from Keith at some point in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne