Max tire size on stock tailgate?

TravelTacoma

Observer
I was noticing that Mopar's rear bumper without the tire carrier ad says that it will fit a 35 on the stock tailgate. I have a 33 on the tailgate now and when I shut it the whole Jeep shakes. I have also noticed more noise (squeaking, rattling) from the back after I made the jump from 28s(!) to the 33s. All bolts are tightened to the correct specs. Now, I want to make the jump to 35s. Could I carry that size on the stock tire carrier? Or am I going to have to make an investment in a rear bumper/tire carrier?

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I'd say 33's are about it on the stock JK bumper. I run 285/75R17's Toyos on mine and the tire rests on the plastic bumper perfectly. Just a little resistance when opening/closing the gate. The other thing to consider is the third brake light. In stock form it barely clears my tire. I have seen a 35" tire with the stock bumper but the catch was he had an aftermarket 3rd brakelight and had to deflate the spare to get it rest right on the bumper. Kinda defeated the purpose of a spare.

Wont go into the subpar mount that jeep used on the JK's. I look at mine and think that the only thing saving it for now is that the bumper is actually carrying some of the load while the gate is closed.

TravelTacoma

Observer
Tire Size

Thanks Bennyhana. That's the size that I'm running as well and I think it is pushing it. Yeah, there's no reason to carry a deflated spare. I completely agree that Jeep skimped on the metal utilization for the tailgate and mounts. Does your Jeep shake when you close the gate? I guess I am going to be sending ExpeditionOne or AEV some money! Thanks.

Jwood

Observer
I've got a 32" mounted on mine but I'm looking to buy a swing out carrier now. I did have to put spacers between the stock carrier and 3rd brake light to lift it about the tire. I don't like having a large spare mounted on my tailgate. I've seen some of my buddies rip the sheet metal from carrying a 33" on the tailgate.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've carried a big Hankook 33.6" tire on my TG for almost two years and I have a little tire support addition on the bumper, but

I wouldn't even consider putting a 35" tire/wheel on the stock carrier--getta swing away carrier and bumper !!

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

TravelTacoma

Observer
Max tire size on stock carrier

People have ripped sheet metal from the Jeep? Ridiculous! I know that when I was in Moab I was constantly worried about it. I had mounted my Hi-Lift to the tailgate and it was making all sorts of noises, so I took it off and mounted it to the roll cage. Anyone have any experience with the ExpeditionOne rear bumper and tire carrier? I am under the impression that it is a great company with a solid reputation, but haven't heard from anyone that owns their bumpers. Thanks guys.

m(a)ce

Adventurer
I'd stick with maxing out with a light 32-33" tires. I'd probably stay with a lighter one (say GY or BFG) or go to a carrier and forget about it.

As for tire carrier - I've heard mostly good things about the Expedition One carrier.
Here's a link to jsmorris build thread. had minor issue that was resolved.

I'd also check out the AEV for similar opening action but a higher price. AEV has grown on me and I like the look of it. AEV also has some additional function - water storage & pump kit along with upcoming fuel capability and hi lift mount.

I run the OR-Fab carrier and my tire doesn't move at all off-road. Ever. The only issue with OR-Fab is some surface rust on hinges though. Customer service has been great. BTW they have a model that holds cans now and soon to have one that holds Rotopax cans if you want additional fuel capacity.

CH10

People have ripped sheet metal from the Jeep? Ridiculous! I know that when I was in Moab I was constantly worried about it. I had mounted my Hi-Lift to the tailgate and it was making all sorts of noises, so I took it off and mounted it to the roll cage. Anyone have any experience with the ExpeditionOne rear bumper and tire carrier? I am under the impression that it is a great company with a solid reputation, but haven't heard from anyone that owns their bumpers. Thanks guys.

I've got the Expedition One bumper/tire carrier combo and love it, I think I'm going to add the high lift mount soon. Installation was easy, not quite as easy as the video in the link but it was smooth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw5oD1FgDxA
I've had it on for about 5,000 miles now and have not had a single squeak or rattle whatsoever. Compared to others on the market the only thing I wish it had was the option for adding a rack or jerry can mount but I'm very happy with it and would definitely buy one again.
It's been my experience that very rarely does a "bolt on" item actually just bolt on without drilling, cutting, grinding or an extra 30 minutes of me swearing at it - the quality shows, it bolted up exactly as it should. It doesn't have a built in hitch so the stock one stays in place, I had some difficulty getting it in place, you have to tilt it to get it installed around the hitch but I did it solo. With an extra set of hands that part would be a breeze as well. I'm losing daylight now so I can't get any pictures but I happen to have the spare off right now so I could snap a pic tomorrow if you want to see anything.

XXXpedition

Explorer
i run a 35" tire on my tailgate. had it on for over a year without issues. i am careful as not to slam the gate...
i did install the longer stops from daystar, otherwise the tire is vibrating wildly and that will kill the carrier for sure.
i don't know about the stock bumper, but with the ARB it works...
IMG_5923.JPG

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
When i had my 2 door Jk I ran a 35" on the stock carrier for a year or so with no issues. Mine also sat on the stock bumper so it kept it from bouncing around and vibrating so much.

TravelTacoma

Observer
Pics of ExpeditionOne bumper

CH10,

Please send some pictures. That is the one complaint I have about ExpeditionOne's website. The pictures are from far away and don't do an adequate job of showing the details. Thanks for the reply. I have also ran into the "bolt-on" problem. Worst bolt-on part I ever installed? A Mopar off-road bumper for a TJ Rubicon. Two hours, four drill bits, and a lifetime worth of cursing later and it was on...albeit crooked!!! Took another hour to line it up! :Wow1:

TravelTacoma

Observer
OR-Fab Bumper

I actually looked at the OR-Fab bumper but didn't know about the quality as I've never had one of their products. I have 285/75 Nittos on the stock carrier now and it is scary! I also like the AEV bumper and am still considering it as well, along with the ExpeditionOne bumper. It may be easier to justify the cost of the OR-Fab bumper to the wife though, when the inevitable "Why do we need this and how much does it cost" questions come up! I will just tell her that she doesn't have to get her hair done for the next year or so. :sombrero:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Yea, I can see your problem with the site/repro's, but-

CH10,

Please send some pictures. That is the one complaint I have about ExpeditionOne's website. The pictures are from far away and don't do an adequate job of showing the details. Thanks for the reply. I have also ran into the "bolt-on" problem. Worst bolt-on part I ever installed? A Mopar off-road bumper for a TJ Rubicon. Two hours, four drill bits, and a lifetime worth of cursing later and it was on...albeit crooked!!! Took another hour to line it up! :Wow1:

When you get a good ref'd URL-type it into your google block and that'll fill the screen with the diff. mfgs-or goto google and type in "JK/JKU Rear bumper Swingaway mfgs" that'll give you some reading mat'l

Good luck

TravelTacoma

Observer
Nice to talk to you XXXpedition

i run a 35" tire on my tailgate. had it on for over a year without issues. i am careful as not to slam the gate...
i did install the longer stops from daystar, otherwise the tire is vibrating wildly and that will kill the carrier for sure.
i don't know about the stock bumper, but with the ARB it works...
IMG_5923.JPG

I have been following your travels since the articles in Offroad Adventures magazine. Love the work you've done to the Jeep. I have looked at the Daystar isolators and the MBRP tailgate reinforcement kit, but was wondering if that was just a temporary fix for a larger problem. ARB makes some very good quality products, but I was never interested in the rear bumper because of the lack of tire carrier. It doesn't give you any problems though? Thanks for the input.

TravelTacoma

Observer
Thanks JIMBO

:sombrero: Yea, I can see your problem with the site/repro's, but-

When you get a good ref'd URL-type it into your google block and that'll fill the screen with the diff. mfgs-or goto google and type in "JK/JKU Rear bumper Swingaway mfgs" that'll give you some reading mat'l

Good luck

I will try that right now. Thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles