Max Coupler installation

BroncoHauler

Adventurer
Seems like this should be a simple topic, but I found the instructions that came with my, what I believe to be first gen Max Coupler, to be lacking (terms describing the same object seem to change from one sentence to the next), and though I've talked to a few people about it, but I guess I'm just overly cautious when it comes to towing anything. I've attached a pic of how I bellieve the MC is suppossed to connect to the drawbar. Basically, as I see it, from the top to the bottom it goes:

bolt head
flat metal washer
Max Coupler
flange pointing up into the Max Coupler
drawbar
flat metal washer
nylock

Do I have this right?
DSC02796.jpg

thanks,
Herb

BroncoHauler

Adventurer
One last question. Are most people who run Max Couplers, running them on the road as well, or are you running a ball coupler and then swapping to the MC when heading off the pavement?

Herb

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Max Couplers are certified for on road use. That's what the SAE J683 on the label refers to.

loup407

Adventurer
BroncoHauler: I use the MaxCoupler exclusively. It's more quiet than a ball hitch, and once you get used to it, almost as easy to hook up. On the rare occasion I have to rent a trailer from U-Haul, I feel like Fred Flintstone messing with a ball hitch. I've had my Horizon in every attitude except fully inverted (knocking on wood here) and have come to trust the MaxCoupler implicitly.
Of course, YMMV.

BroncoHauler

Adventurer
OK, hauled my teardrop about 2200 miles earlier this month, including a couple hundred miles off pavement. The Max Coupler was absolutely great, quiet (not that my ball coupler was ever noisy), and problem free.

I will say reconnecting the MC while off pavement was a bit challenging, having pulled the center connecting pin a few times, but I think my learning curve on reconnecting is improving. I wasn't about to have my six year old son help while I was backing up and moving things around, but I do think a spotter would definitely helped speed up the process.

I'm very happy with the Max Coupler.

Herb

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Good news that they are DOT approved. I am looking at one of these soon.

On a side note, how hard is it to mess up instructions (or make them hard to follow) when there are so few parts and it is so basic? When I say mess up, I mean creating poor instructions...not your level of understanding of them. lol :)

Good info.

BroncoHauler

Adventurer
Good news that they are DOT approved. I am looking at one of these soon.

On a side note, how hard is it to mess up instructions (or make them hard to follow) when there are so few parts and it is so basic? When I say mess up, I mean creating poor instructions...not your level of understanding of them. lol :)

Good info.

I hear you. Maybe I'm just overly cautious, and I do know that I understand far better when I can see rather than read a set of instructions, but at a minimum, they should include a pic or a line drawing. A pic would likely be very beneficial to non-English speaking customers.

Herb

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I think being overly cautious when it comes to towing is a good call!

I am surprised that they don't include a picture? Could have saved typing a thousand words? lol

BroncoHauler

Adventurer
I think being overly cautious when it comes to towing is a good call!

I am surprised that they don't include a picture? Could have saved typing a thousand words? lol

There is one picture included, but it's of it fully assembled, which doesn't quite cut it in my opinion.

Herb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior