Mauka2Makai - Our Quest Begins...An 80 Series Adventure

Nice thread. I started reading from page 1. I saw you bought your LC on August 28th. LOL, I just had to let you know it is my birthday.

You have it truly customize. Enjoy.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Hannibal Safari Equipment Roof Rack

For our LC a roof rack has become a vital and valued necessity during our family adventures. While our previous Baja rack served our needs extremely well, it did leave room for improvement and function for our particular uses. My criteria for a new rack would have to include aluminum construction, be of flat design, and key feature of the new rack would be to allow a direct mount for a Hannibal awning. I did consider two other similar racks. What sold me on the Hannibal rack was the fully welded construction of the rack... it was not of modular design, The rack slats were for to aft, and full length gutter support rails. These key features are what I felt helped the Hannibal roof rack to stand out from the others.

Hannibal 80 series Roof Rack

Length: 90.5"
Width: 52.36"
Height: 3.34"
weight: 77.16 lbs

Key Features:

• Low profile to hug the roof line and to keep a low centre of gravity
  • Constructed using 6063 Architectural grade aluminum
  • Welded construction for maximum strength and reliability... not of modular design
  • Full length gutter support rail to spread load
  • Will not rust, highly corrosion resistant
  • Good looks with aerodynamic performance
  • Minimum wind noise with maximum fuel efficiency
  • Wide slotted slats that run for to aft
  • Detachable outer side and rear rail kit... removable for RTT or flat loads

Slats running for to aft with slots for easy installation of accessories.

4 cross members and gutter support rails.

Good looking rack on the 80. :sombrero:

The Hannibal roof rack fitment instructions recommend the use of four people for installation. With the initial installation, I had help from fellow ExPo members lifting the rack onto the LC. The second time after a hardware swap out, I accomplished the removal with the wife and installation on my own. When the rack is assembled with gutter mounts and crossmembers installed to the vehicle first followed by the roof rack, it is easily a one person job. I opted to change out the supplied stainless steel hardware for grade 10.9 hardware due to the shearing of several bolts. For this application I'll trade corrosion resistance for strength. With the rack off a second time for hardware replacement it was my opportunity to ensure centering of the crossbars, its overall alignment and leveling, and a once over for a final torque.
So far I've easily put around 600 miles with the rack on the road; the wind noise and extra weight of the rack on the roof is very very quiet and minimal. Looking forward to putting the rack through some trail time with all our gear on it.

Last edited:

Bretthn

Explorer
The new rack and awning look great. Thanks for the detailed review.
How many miles have you put on the Cooper ST Maxx now? Do they still ride as smooth as new? Still happy?

Mayne

Explorer
Oooo! That's a nice bit o kit there. Does it knock the fuel mileage down any, and wind noise? Those were a few complaints I had about my TJ rack, but the utility of it was without question the only way to go. Even with the trailer it was needed with the jeep. Time will tell with the 80, but I do dig the rack!
Mayne

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
The new rack and awning look great. Thanks for the detailed review.
How many miles have you put on the Cooper ST Maxx now? Do they still ride as smooth as new? Still happy?

Bretthn, Thanks... Very happy with the Cooper ST Maxx. I'm coming up on 5k miles and they still ride smooth as new. They handled extremely well while on the Mojave rd and Trabuco Creek trail. I'll air down to around 22psi and it's a night and day difference on washboard and finding traction on the loose stuff. The St Maxx are seemingly silent when it comes to tire hum and have afforded me a serious increase in MPG to boot as well. All in all very happy with this tire.

Oooo! That's a nice bit o kit there. Does it knock the fuel mileage down any, and wind noise? Those were a few complaints I had about my TJ rack, but the utility of it was without question the only way to go. Even with the trailer it was needed with the jeep. Time will tell with the 80, but I do dig the rack!
Mayne

Mayne, Thanks... Having removed the Baja Rack, Eezi-Awn, ARB awing, and replacing the Toyo's with the Coopers I saw an increase in MPG from an average of around 12 to an average of around 15.5 with no OEM rack or anything on the roof. With the addition of the Hannibal rack and awning I'm seeing an average of around 14.5 MPG... As a daily driver I can live with that. As far as wind noise, the Hannibal is surprisingly quieter than the Baja even with the awning. A roof rack in general for our purpose has proven to be a very valuable tool for the LC.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
You have an obsoletely sweet ride!

Very nice!
Did you consider the 2.4M awning? The extra space would be great, but I'm not sure how I feel about the front section extending forward of the windshield once mounted.

Nice thread. I started reading from page 1. I saw you bought your LC on August 28th. LOL, I just had to let you know it is my birthday.
You have it truly customize. Enjoy.

Thanks Guys.
ab1985, With the new style Hannibal roof rack, it is to my understanding that the 2.4M awning is too long to mount directly to the rack without modification to the awning mounts locations. The 2M is a direct fit and the loss of shade is nominal in my opinion. As you know... Wow! you can't beat the ease of set up and take down with the Hannibal awnings. :)

JohnnyS

Explorer
Nice! The Hannibal awning is the way to go.
We're in the process of fitting a 2M to the Frontrunner Rack (can't give up the table underneath) on the 80, it will be pretty involved (building aluminum mounts on a CNC...), however well worth it in the end!!
:sombrero:

dcoy

Adventurer
Hannibal Source

Nice gradual build. Just my style.

Couldn't find in the thread where you purchased your Hannibal rack and awning and my internet search has come up empty. Where did you buy yours? I know that Sierra 4x4 had them before they imploded, but that's it.

Thanks

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Duuude, we need more picture updated. :D

This summer was a wash for trail time and camping... wish I had pictures to post. Slowly getting around to a couple of mods though, stay tuned for those pics.

Subd. Great build

Thanks Gabex35.

Nice! The Hannibal awning is the way to go.
We're in the process of fitting a 2M to the Frontrunner Rack (can't give up the table underneath) on the 80, it will be pretty involved (building aluminum mounts on a CNC...), however well worth it in the end!!
:sombrero:

Thanks Johnny, I couldn't agree with you more...Hannibal awnings are the way to go. on a side note, I think you should start a build thread for your 80.

Nice gradual build. Just my style.

Couldn't find in the thread where you purchased your Hannibal rack and awning and my internet search has come up empty. Where did you buy yours? I know that Sierra 4x4 had them before they imploded, but that's it.

Thanks

Purchased the Hannibal rack and awning back in February received them mid summer... worth the wait. Hannibal Safari USA

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Hannibal Safari Equipment Awning

Equal in importance to our Hannibal roof rack is our Hannibal 2m awning. The Hannibal 2M awning is a direct fit to the 80 series Hannibal roof rack with no modifications required to awning or roofrack. Part of the fun when building the LC is the process of trial and error... figuring out what works best for our particular needs. While our previous ARB awning served its purpose extremely well when erected, it left a yearning for simplicity, form, and function. The Hannibal awning easily addresses all other awning shortfalls... The Hannibal awning can easily be erected single handed in well under a minute, awning poles are self supportive requiring no guy lines or telescopic poles, and vehicle repositioning is easily accomplished to maintain maximum shade coverage. These features are what I feel help to make Hannibal awnings superior to all other awnings.

Hannibal 2M Awning

Dimension Closed
Length: 1.9M
Width: 15 cm
Height: 15 cm
Dimension Open
Length: 1.9M
Width: 1.7M
Weight
~23lbs

Key Features:

• Waterproof, "Dynaproofed" 380g polycotton ripstop.
  • Seams: Double stitched; edged with binding. All seams have been waterproofed.
  • Stitching: Superior strength quality thread (S25)
  • Outrigger frame poles are aluminium
  • External tie down straps on the awning holds the outriggers in place whilst driving
  • Polyurethane bushes allow the arms to swivel avoiding wear and tear
  • Awning poles are totally self-supporting; no poles or guy ropes
  • Easy to set up; two arms fold out and the awning is rolled out and clipped in
  • Single handed setup (even in windy conditions)
  • P.V.C. reinforced corners - drop clips for quick set up
  • Sides are available for all Hannibal Awnings. Turn your awning into a change room or extra sleeping room by simply zipping on sides to the awning

I cannot overstate the quality of construction, workmanship, and attention to detail that goes into the making of the Hannibal awnings. The welds, double stitching, and quality of canvas are key factors that will no doubt ensure years shade time whether at the park, beach, or camping in the desert. Trust me I'm looking forward to sitting under my awning and enjoying a beer... It's DV season soon.:sombrero:

rickashay

Explorer
That awning is VERY nice! Compliments your Cruiser very well too, looks great!

Just curious, how many miles do you have on the ST Maxx tires? I've got ~25,000kms on mine (work truck) and they are wearing exceptionally well. However I do find them substantially louder now than they were upon purchase. You find the same?

Cheers

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
That awning is VERY nice! Compliments your Cruiser very well too, looks great!

Just curious, how many miles do you have on the ST Maxx tires? I've got ~25,000kms on mine (work truck) and they are wearing exceptionally well. However I do find them substantially louder now than they were upon purchase. You find the same?

Cheers

Thanks bud. I've got around 6000 miles or so, maybe a little more on the ST Maxxx. So far no significant audible increase in tire noise and 80 percent of my driving is on the freeway. I'm no tire expert... it's my understanding though that tires with larger voids/treads... as they wear they get a bit louder. On a side note looking forward to seeing your upcoming Slee mods and sleeping platform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior