Mauka2Makai - Our Quest Begins...An 80 Series Adventure

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
I'm shootin' for Saturday around afternoon time. I will PM address once exact time is figured out. Should be quick and easy, I'll try to have most of it put together. Just need help lifting it up. Thanks again.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Rivnuts and Stainless Steel Hardware for the Fender Flares

My biggest gripe of the pocket style fender flares was that they are screwed directly into the fenders. Upon initial installation, I knew that I'd be installing rivnuts in the near future to remedy this problem. When you screw directly into the fender it's going to set you up for failure (cross thread, stripping, etc.) when you want to remove and reinstall for maintenance/repair etc.. With the use of rivnuts you can easily remove the flares in advance if needed to prevent damage to the flares if you'll be traversing a particularly challenging or damage prone trail. You can now easily remove the flares to clean the miles of trail dust out. Wow... it's now feasible to roll with or without flares at your discretion, Who would of known.

Replaced all hardware with Stainless Steel due to corrosion.

New hardware along with required tools

Installed Stainless Steel rivnuts.

The new hardware is a little bling. I'll see if it fades a bit, otherwise I'll paint them. Nice to have finally finished this, as some times the small things can just bug the hell out of you on your LC. For those that are thinking of installing these flares, I would highly suggest going this route and installing with the use of rivnuts.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I've been following this thread since the beginning. It's a great read. When is the next trip?

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Looks nice!

x2 Very nice. Sounds like it was well worth the extra effort.

I've been following this thread since the beginning. It's a great read. When is the next trip?

Thanks Guys... Nothing like manually squeezing 30 some stainless steel rivnuts. Well worth the extra effort in the long run.

Wife helped me remove the Hannibal roof rack today to address a couple of minor issues that were bugging me (alignment and hardware). I'll be replacing the rack to frame hardware with new higher quality stainless steel hardware and readjusting the alignment of the rack frame (I know I'm not the only one that likes things to be damn near perfect). Stay tuned for the Hannibal rack review.

As for up coming trips, we are keeping our fingers crossed for a trip up north to Coyote Flats and Bodie along with a sweep of Arizona in the near future. Wish gas would drop to the low 3's here soon. We can wish right?

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
You may not have thought of this but it's not too hard to do alone when you have the gutters. Set up the support rails and cross bars on the vehicle (they sort of link together to stay set without bolts). Then just lift the bare rack onto them starting at the side. The rack is only 80 lbs if that. It's really not too hard.

Easily removed the rack with just me and the wife... Hannibal instructions do recommend 4 people for installation/removal. Wow... we must be pretty strong. :)

NM-Frontier

Explorer
The new changes are looking good. That Hannibal looks like a work of art, very nice. What is the weight diff with the old Baja Rack? Have you got the awning also? Also those SS rivnuts and hardware really set off the flares. As always keep up the good work.:sombrero:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
As always thanks guys.

I like the stainless bolts. I use them a lot myself as I hate fighting rusty bolts, which I've had to do so often.

The stainless hardware on the flares are holding up fine... think I'll even pass on painting them for now. As for the hardware that came with the Hannibal roof rack (all stainless steel btw), I've replaced with grade 10.9 for the high strength ratio. Used lots of anti seize and cpc to prevent corrosion. In this application I opted for strength rather than higher corrosion resistance.

The new changes are looking good. That Hannibal looks like a work of art, very nice. What is the weight diff with the old Baja Rack? Have you got the awning also? Also those SS rivnuts and hardware really set off the flares. As always keep up the good work.:sombrero:

The Hannibal is one nice rack... I want to say just off the top of my head that the Hannibal is around 14 or so pounds more than the Baja Rack. Just installed the awning today... it's about time.

ab1985

Explorer
Very nice!

Did you consider the 2.4M awning? The extra space would be great, but I'm not sure how I feel about the front section extending forward of the windshield once mounted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior