Mattress topper research, sam's club etc

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Just passing info along as we are investigating something to supplement and/or replace the god awful mattress that came with our RTT. Don't know if RTT mattresses vary in quality from company to company but IMO it should be an option to just not even get one and save the money. Moving on.

Had the day off and made it by a sam's club and found these available. Not sure if this is something that all clubs have or just my local club. Not even sure if these are good quality or the price but wanted to pass the info along. Just going off numbers these seem to be pretty decent deals but I need to check into their reviews some more to see what is said about them.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/4-mem-foam-top-q-inclub-741895/prod19720989.ip

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/dream-cl-mf-top-tn-3-cooling-topper/prod20120700.ip

There have been a lot of mattress stores pop up here recently so I stopped by a couple and found both these in the store at a sleepy's mattress. Their prices were much higher than sam's plus the high pressure sales pitch was annoying but I wanted to at least try them both. The serta was more expensive (in sam's and the mattress store) and felt a little more firm but the sales guy said it has a 10 year warranty although I'm not sure how much the warranty would apply given my application. Re: the firmness the serta was also a 4" vs the dreamfinity's 3" The dreamfinity has a 5 year warranty and oddly enough was "cooler" (even to the touch) as advertised and felt a lot better when tried in my sleeping positions on the side and stomach. Both were tested on a queen sized basic non pillow top mattress in the store. I am not sure how these things would hold up camping so I will admit I am wary to spend $150+ on a topper but as I said the supplied tent mattress is awful and has to go or get serious help.

Fyi on price. Both of these were cheaper than I could find online and the mattress stores I checked locally. The dreamfinity was WAY cheaper in king size form at sam's. Online I couldn't find it for less than $200 plus shipping.

Feel free to add any feedback as we continuing to look.

TwistedGray

Observer
...Feel free to add any feedback as we continuing to look.

I have two mattress pads coming from Costco, hopefully this evening. I went with this eggshell style one, and also this one. These are both slightly less expensive than yours; however, they were not 4".

Note: We currently use two of these (can't find on Costco but bought them at the store); however, they fit too awkwardly so I bought the two above to see what would work best.

1Louder

Explorer
Just make sure you build some type of cover for these things or use the one that came with you RTT. Memory foams tends to have a sticky quality to it. You can also go to FoamByMail.com and order up something that you like. Build your own layers and buy a cover.

Outside somewhere

I have two mattress pads coming from Costco, hopefully this evening. I went with this eggshell style one, and also this one. These are both slightly less expensive than yours; however, they were not 4".

Note: We currently use two of these (can't find on Costco but bought them at the store); however, they fit too awkwardly so I bought the two above to see what would work best.

Our tepui is a king size so we are trying to get something as close to the interior dimensions as we can. We have a costco membership as well so I will be sure to check those out. We started looking at 3" toppers but the difference in price, weight landed us at wanting to go with a 4" with 1" camping mats and an anti-condensation set up of some type. In a perfect world the whole setup would fold up and not require taking anything out to take away from the cargo room in the jeep. Going to play with the setup until we get it right.

Just make sure you build some type of cover for these things or use the one that came with you RTT. Memory foams tends to have a sticky quality to it. You can also go to FoamByMail.com and order up something that you like. Build your own layers and buy a cover.

Will for sure check that site out. There are a couple of local places that still make mattresses in the area so I sent them an email explaining what I was after to see if they could custom design something. You are totally right about that "sticky" quality. That cooling topper was really nice but it has a weird smell that I was assured will dissipate. I figure it wouldn't be an issue past the first or second trip being it's outdoors and will not only vent off any VOC's but it will absorb smells from cooking, camp fires, etc. The texture was odd for sure and would definitely require some type of sheets. Again being in what used to be a hub of furniture making there are some places left that do bespoke orders and we already contacted one of them to see about doing a one off set of sheets for us.

Something I really wonder about is how well these memory foam mattresses will last with wild temp swings year after year. Will that sticky whatever coating start to peel off or become nasty during hot weather or how will it act when temps dip into the 30-40's? Just going to have to do some testing and see.

TwistedGray

Observer
Our tepui is a king size so we are trying to get something as close to the interior dimensions as we can. We have a costco membership as well so I will be sure to check those out. We started looking at 3" toppers but the difference in price, weight landed us at wanting to go with a 4" with 1" camping mats and an anti-condensation set up of some type. In a perfect world the whole setup would fold up and not require taking anything out to take away from the cargo room in the jeep. Going to play with the setup until we get it right.

Cautionary note: The egg shell was too thin and the 3" that I had works great unless you're 6' or taller. Then you might reach the max height of the pad, but the width is perfect. Also, the 3" will not fold down into the tent. I think I'll order a 2" and see if that will fold because they take up a lot of space otherwise.

Outside somewhere

Thanks for the heads up. I'm almost 6'5 so I want something that supports my big *** but isn't a pain to pack up as I don't see how a 3-4" topper will close up when breaking camp. That's why I am leaning toward the serta even if it's not as comfortable it has that 10 year warranty. Should I have to stuff it down to a reasonable size several times per year I think the warranty might work in my favor.

97tjguzzy

Explorer
I noticed that when we went from a Mombasa to the tepui tent that the mattress foam was not as nice. We used a king pillow top from Amazon and a egg crate style foam 2" layer under it. It was not a true 4" thick and would fold up with the tent.

For our new teardrop I went to a local mattress company that makes custom sizes. I went with a pocketed coil mattress for it, but they also have foam mattress options.

Lovemymattress.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
We had a memory foam mattress made for us - one of the advantages of living in North Carolina where this stuff is produced. (We got it from the foam manufacturer, not a "Mattress Factory" type store). Made a huge difference.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Been running costco memory toppers for three yrs in the lifetime tent/trailer. Also have one on our regular bed at home for about 7yrs now same brand. No complaints.

I will say this. The trick that made the trailer bed work was a 2inch REI extra wide /long self inflatable back packing mat. We put two on the base layer that was the cats meow!!! No hip on the hard board at 4am. Plus I found I could guestimate how firm my wife likes her side. First night I tested it the wife and I slept in to 8:30 am!! She woke up and asked what the hell did you do to this bed? Ha ha.. We went from two day trips to doing 6day trips!!! No joke

I think the challenge with foam pading is they go flat over time, add the hard flat surface under the bed and you wake up in a few hours trying to find a new spot. Add the self inflating pads and they give enough yet hold shape under the foam to keep hips off the hard stuff.

Rent a few back packing pads for your next trip and test it. Hands down night and day.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Two pads side by side with the stock foam pad over it then the costco topper. Its like our own bed at home. Tad soft squishy for me but the wife loves it and I sleep all night with it. I think the stock pad with the rei pads under it would be ideal for me.

hitek79

Explorer
I'm looking at buying a Tepui Autana, and I want whatever the thickest mattress I can squish in there is. Memory foam compresses down pretty small. Is it unreasonable to think I compress down a 5 inch mattress when I fold everything back up?

burningac1d

Another thing to consider is the shape of the mattress topper. As a person with severe myositis, I have muscle spasms, joint pain, and weakness that affect my sleep so I need a mattress-top that is very flat-topped to help me turn more easily. I went with a pillow-top and had to return it the next day.

pigeonfarmboy

I bought a Gordigear tent primarily for the 4" mattress. That unfortunately didn't help make for a good sleeping experience for me. After exhausting all my camp pad options I broke down and bought an Exped Megamat. It's the closest I've gotten to my bed at home for comfort. Everyone is different with sleep comfort, my friend can sleep on a bare floor with no pain issues.

Lownomore

We run a pair of 3/4" yoga mats under the mattress in our Alu-Cab and sleep very well in it. I am a side sleeper and a big guy and don't have any problems.

Romer

Adventurer
We run a pair of 3/4" yoga mats under the mattress in our Alu-Cab and sleep very well in it. I am a side sleeper and a big guy and don't have any problems.

My Alu-cab acme with a 1" memory foam topper. I was thinking of trying it under rather than on top of the mattress to see what is better. Thanks for the tip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles