Mattress pad storage

hg1027

I have a couple foam mattress pads that make our cots much more comfortable. Started with a very soft one for my wife, then I got a firm egg crate, and my dad got a firm solid mattress.

The soft one fits in a pillow case with a bit of sitting on it, but the firm ones are currently just getting rolled up (by at least 3 of us) and strapped on the trailer. Today I wrapped in a water resistant table cloth for the ride home to keep road grime off, but need a better solution.

I would like any suggestions on a way to compress, and a ~dust tight way to transport.

Currently thinking 3 or 4 straps, 2+ inch wide to avoid cutting in to the foam, with D rings, possibly in addition to a huge duffel bag (40x~18 as currently rolled). Duffle would have to unzip at least most of the way down the ends. Not sure if the ones online would open wide enough.

Alternative would be to sew the straps in to a piece of heavy canvas/ballistic nylon with draw strings on the ends.

Paint stick for size reference.
302621be43843918c85a3094d0e9a4d6.jpg

quickfarms

Adventurer
The problem is if you compress them a lot they will need time to relax and expand

I don’t even store my sleeping bags in the stuff sacks for vehicle transport. They are loaded inside a drawstring laundry bag.

Superior markets has sold draw string laundry bags that are made out of really heavy cloth

krick3tt

Adventurer
try a military surplus duffle bag, strong and in the right conditions very water resistant cause they are heavy canvas.

ottsville

Observer
Could do a larger under bed storage bag - they make them with air valves for compression.
Or a large dry bag.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Another option is to setup yourself to fold, rather than roll. We use a foam mattress topper for the upper bunk in our van. There isn't room to leave it in-place with the top down, so we need to pull it and store it while driving. I got tired of messing with rolling air or foam pads, so I converted a topper to "Z-Fold" by cutting into sections and sewing a cover that lets you fold it up. I don't have good photos of that sewing project, but here's a similar product that I used for inspiration:

zfold.jpg

The pad still takes up the same volume in the rig, but at least I don't have the frustration with wrestling with it. If you're using bedding instead of sleeping bags, it's also nice because you can leave it "made" and just fold everything up together.

Heading Out

Adventurer
You could try dry bags from a marine/boat shop.

or if you need to compress them, some of those vacuum storage bags for clothes.
Use some engine vacuum to compress the bags.

hg1027

Thanks for the replies.

The folding is interesting, do you feel the breaks when sleeping, and is it worth it? (if it wasn't a choice, I guess it is)

I've been hesitant to use a vacuum setup, mostly because of the need for a machine to vacuum, but it could work out.

I'll go to a surplus store in the next few weeks. I had also thought about cutting the ends off two bags and sew together, but if something exists, certainly easier.

hg1027

Cots are only a year old, cabela's big outfitter or something, prefer not to spend another 150 each.

I have shoulder issues, wife prefers very soft, dad is getting older and was almost ready to give up on camping. Some kind of mattress is pretty much required, and I've already got 6 leaking thermarest type pads. Foam seems to be working.

I bought some webbing and buckles today. Going to measure to order fabric and see what I can do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior