Material for bucket toilet & disposal

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
(1) What's the best affordable material to put in a bucket toilet for solid waste? I'm looking for something that would cover the odor. Kitty litter? Clumping kitty litter?

(I have pine pellets for liquid waste. Those are wonderful---incredibly absorbent and no smell!)

(2) If I'm in a remote area for several days, what's the best thing to do with solid waste? Bury it, or wait until I get to a town and dispose of it there? I have investigated the legalities and sanitary aspects of placing it in a dumpster and noted a lot of disagreement about that. I'll be away for 10 days and can't really transport it in my small vehicle that long.

chet6.7

Explorer
I use a Gamma Seal lid on my bucket, cat litter in a plastic bag. As has been mentioned, keep urine out, however for my short term use urine has not been a problem, the Gamma lid works pretty good.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Chet6.7, that's an interesting video. I think there's a simpler yet still functional way to handle this: I put pine pellets in the bottom for liquid and put a plastic bag from the supermarket on the bucket rim for solid waste. On a longer trip the question becomes what to do with the bag . . .

By the way, I have a Luggable Loo seat, but I discovered it's not really necessary. I sit directly on the bucket. The seat just makes one more thing to carry and clean.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Take a 1 gallon ziplock. Place a 15 gallon scented kitchen bag inside. Place 1-2 cups of scented kitty litter inside the kitchen bag. Roll and squeeze all the air out of the kitchen bag and ziplock, seal the ziplock for storage. Make up 1-2 per day, times how many days you on the trip. When needed, place the ziplock in the toilet, open the top, pull the kitchen bag out and wrap around the toilet rim. Once done, stuff the kitchen bag into the ziplock, seal the ziplock, store until you can dispose of in trash. Ta dah! cheap and easy poo bags!

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Diverting the urine is the first and most important thing to get rid of the stink (and the volume).
Treat the solids with a little sodium percarbonate ("oxy wash") if you are not going to try to compost it.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

john61ct

Adventurer
Coir, aka coconut fibre.

Compressed blocks, space efficient but takes a bit of work to decompress.

Never mix your pee in, 100% critical.

If you think dumpster divers will be tearing into your sealed bags and you want to to be considerate

can buy the scary looking bio waste / hazmat bags or stickers.

Do not start new "compost" holes on land you do not own.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
P1100026E.jpg
We use a cassette toilet. We spend a lot of time in the desert and usually need to bury the contents.
This hole will accommodate both ours and our friend's 20L cassettes.
Cassettes typically need emptying every 3 or 4 days when used by 2 people full time. But, if ALL urine is diverted and flushing water is minimised, a cassette can last up to 2 weeks for 2 people. It also smells a lot less.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

SBSYNCRO

+1 on a cassette type toilet. I use a very small Dometic unit that will last me 4 or 5 days before I have to empty it. With the proper additive to the flush water there is very little smell as long as the gaskets seal properly. And it feels more like home, albeit smaller. I also use a squeeze bottle bidet to save on TP.

The best part is that you can remove the top part and carry the bottom waste container (smaller than a briefcase but a bit thicker) into any public restroom and dump it legally and ethically. No plastic bags, no “poop in a trash can” smell.

The only downside is that you have to separate the TP to conserve space in the toilet, and you need to rinse and clean the waste tank out before it is stored. To me better than carrying around a bag of poop looking for a place to drop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles