Martinez Canyon 11-27-05

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Well, since I have to work today, I figured I would get a thread going for when you guys get back. This is one of my all-time favorite trails and I can't wait to hear a report from you guys! Hopefully you survived the switchbacks ok.

:jumping:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
It was a good trip. Long....but good. All told, I was gone just a hair over 12 hours (including the drive up and back). Sorry, no pics....didn't even take my camara (oops). Yellow Belly Ledge has filled in considerably since Scott blew up his axle shaft on it back in '04 (?). The lower switchbacks have washed out some, but it isn't too bad. The climb up from Silverbelle mine has also washed out some, leaving a interesting option at the very top. The backside is relatively unchanged. Box has some fresh spray paint (blue this time), but can still be ran in 2wd going downhill (haven't ever actually tried to run it in 2wd going uphill......).

I don't think there was any damage to any of the vehicles in our group (1 jeep, two 80's, one 40, 1 1/2 taco's (Chuck left after running box), and one full size blazer). Of course Alvin did have a little navigation trouble while going the back way to the top of poop shute....

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
So if you ran Box downhill, how is it that Chuck ran it with you? Wouldn't you have done that first, and then on to the cabins? Or did you run the top end downhill to the turn-off, and Chuck continued out through the narrow parts? Sad to hear about the blue paint.

So the night-marish rumors are put to rest I guess. Very cool to hear it is still runable. Thanks for the report. Was it Brett's Taco that went through there?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Chuck met us at Price Rd., at which time we all went up Box canyon (me playing around so I was in and out of 4-lo). At the turn off for Amy's Camp, Chuck headed up Mineral Mountain Rd to pick up the 60 and then on to NM, while the rest of us went over to Martinez and ran the loop. At the end of the day, the group split up at Amy's camp, with Brett and the other MUD folks heading home via Mineral Mountain Road (all heading to Phoenix)....Alvin and myself came back down Box (heading to Tucson)....since it was getting late, I didn't play around in the canyon...just ran it in 2wd, then hauled butt out to the black top.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
After I left you guys I got held up for 30 minutes while some folks from AZCrawlers.com or something like that fixed one of their rigs that blew a U-joint in the road. Just got home, took longer than I thought due to icy roads in NM...

Box Canyon was fun, thanks for letting me hang with you guys for a little while. Until next time, see ya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles