Martin Canyon/Smiley Rock Trail Rehab

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
In many respects the 4x4 community should have an easier time since we can't create new trails, just try to protect what is already open. In fact, there are only two legal challenging trails in the Prescott. Smiley Rock and the DeSoto are it. Perhaps we can try to get the Maverick Ridge road re-opened as a thru trail. Than would be a good one to try and establish a re pore.
I would put out some feelers with PNF regarding Maverick Ridge. If there's a chance it could be re-opened, that might be the perfect project to get the community motivated. It's good to have a singular project instead of a sweeping "no more gates" project. If you were to get Maverick Ridge opened, that would serve as a noticeable victory and get the ball rolling. Staving off closed gates is a tough rally point. Opening gates is a definate success.

I would also be prepared to suggest some sacrificial trails to be closed. It shows you understand the limited recourses in the forest and if one road is added, one may need to be removed. Maybe.

The only hard fast closures that are virtually impossible to overturn are closures put in place due to historical sites or roads that are determined to be contributing to water shed problems. Those things seldom even make it to NEPA, let alone out of NEPA.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Thanks Guys!

I'll post a new thread on Maverick Ridge once the project gets started. It's open from both end to what we call Riggles Hill, and the steep hill has been used by bikes (both mountain and motorized), quads, UTV's and trucks for years anyway. If it was legally open, it makes a nice loop from the Senator to 98B. It is also part of the trails down to Kendall Camp - a great downhill decent. (You don't think I rode a mountain bike up it do you - that's tough one even for you one speed dudes :sombrero:)

SilverBullet

Explorer
Great idea Marc. Not sure which is Maverick Ridge, but there is one closed I know of near Smilie rock that might be it. Anyway, what ever happened to all those pictures?

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Chris will get them to us this week!

Maverick Ridge connects the Golden Eagle Mine Road on the Senator Hwy, (just south of the Great Divide junction/cattle guard on top, and before you get to the A-frame house) to FS97B offthe Wolf Creek Campground road at the Hassayampa River. It's a very challenging route that is currently "closed" in the middle at Halford Hill (I miss spoke in the last post - it's Halford Hill, not Riggles)

It is similar in some respects to the DeSoto in that you are traversing the ridge line with steep loose hill climbs and descents. It would be a worthy addition to the 4x4 trail community looking for a harder trail. The view from the top of Mt. Tritle is awesome!

I don't expect we'll see anything happening on this until next year. Ron Rodgers is a seasonal employee of the USFS, and is done for the year in three weeks. I sure hope he returns for next year!

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Mark, thanks again for organizing this, and thanks to all who came out to help. :victory:

Ok, here are some photos:

_mg_0314.jpg

The trail's namesake

_mg_0397.jpg

The volunteer group

_mg_0432.jpg

Evidence of the recent storms in Martin canyon - this crossing of the creek bottom was a little washed out.

More photos in the slideshow. . .

Play the slideshow

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
The Prescott Courier has asked for info on the folks in the photos attached.

Please PM me with your names if you'd like to be ID in the paper! I need to know your placement from left to right.

Again, please don't post it here unless you don't care!

Attachments

• _mg_0374.jpg
    _mg_0374.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 24
  • _mg_0331.jpg
    _mg_0331.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 27

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
the blue shirt is waymon cornell, I know he doesn't care :)
He has been a super cool help to Disabled Explorers and drives a Lexus GS470 I think (the newish one)
He went on a run with you before Mark.

Not sure on the rest...

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Unfortunately I've met way too many people in the last 10 years to even try to remember'm all...

And I'm not sure it's a recommendation if I do :sombrero:

SilverBullet

Explorer
Red shirt supervising is me, Brian Letendre. Looks liek I was tired after swinging the pick, but hey, someone had to supervise...

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Nicely done! Hope this will get the word out locally that we're keeping an eye on things and that the 4x4 community is proactive about it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior