market for a trailer base "kit" ?

RHINO

Expedition Leader
say a guy was to offer a "rolling chassis" of a trailer, think of a simple box trailer, like the popular M-416 w/o the box, you would then have a complete base to build your top on to it, whatever that may be. the chassis would be the same basic design but any custom size.

would that be anything of interest?

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Yes, if it is affordable. Also of interest would be a bolt-together kit for non-welders like me that could be shipped as there are people living on the right coast :elkgrin:

NateK

Doubt it'll work out due to shipping large and heavy items, maybe something local, but not coast to coast...
I personally have all the tools etc. to do it myself, the problem is time and planning.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I'd look into the shipping angle as that might set a target size, weight, or both. Perhaps Forward Air? They do other that air shipments.

Make it a self-jigging bolt together that is designed to be welded or left bolted. Then it can be shipped knocked down, but put together with hand tools well enough that it can be transported to a local welder.

I think that the niche is there, but on the low end you're up against the Harbor Freight/Northern Tool knock-downs and on the upper end you up against a dedicated fabrication. It will take a clever solution to be viable.

Strizzo

Explorer
compactcampingconcepts.com (a forum sponsor) sells plans for building your own trailer setup based off of a 4'x6' base. you could use a harbor freight trailer kit or the like if you want, do an axle flip or upgrade, and you have your start right there. looks cheap enough to start out, and you could upgrade as you go if you like.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Not trying to pee in your punch but my observation are;

If someone has the time/ability to build a trailer from a flatbed up they probably have the time/ability to do it from scratch.

There are lots of local trailer builders that can provide a DOT approved flatbed, most likely cheaper than you can fab and ship yours.

Don't underestimate how hard the DOT part is. I know the guy that owns Sierra 4X4 trailers the DOT part was not trivial. It's pretty easy to get a home built trailer licensed, getting DOT approval is another.

wjeeper

Don't underestimate how hard the DOT part is. I know the guy that owns Sierra 4X4 trailers the DOT part was not trivial. It's pretty easy to get a home built trailer licensed, getting DOT approval is another.

I an very curious about this DOT approval. My buddy builds trailers at a small firm here in Utah and all they do is weld them up, affix a serial number and send them out the door with a bill of sale.

Maybe this varies by state? Single axle trailers in Utah under a certian weight (2000-2500 lbs, i cant remember) don't need to be registered.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i see the downsides with shipping and all that. quality wise it would be everything the top line trailers are, no channel or angle iron.
its not something i'm planning to do, i was just lengthening my trailer and thought about how many ppl cant do this on a monday after work with a beer in one hand like i can and just wondered if it would be a market.

REasley

Adventurer
There are federal standards that must be met. If one of your trailer kits came apart (even though it was the customers fault) you would have to defend yourself in a lawsuit. If you failed to follow the federal standards (regardless of the state laws) and someone were killed, you could find yourself behind bars. Better look into a $1,000,000 manufacturers insurance policy.

Beyond that, you would need to find a parts wholesaler relatively close by, preferably two. Most will deliver at no charge. If not the inbound freight would kill your competitiveness. The reason for two suppliers is twofold. The competition between two suppliers will push your costs down and if one supplier backorders something you have a backup. Wholesalers like Redneck can be very competitive, but costs will depend on volume. Most suppliers will give you the benefit of doubt when it comes to forecasting to establish your discount, but be realistic with your forecast.

Outbound freight will become a major issue with trailer parts. There are alot of freight discounts out there, but you might have to join a builders or manufacturers association to get them. Make your kit as dense or compact as possible to get a low freight class. The freight class system is a very arcane involved system, but basically the lower the ability for the trucker to damage the goods, the lower the freight class. Shoot for a 55 or 60.

Good Luck

compactcamping

Explorer
I use to work with Magneta Trailers who was making a light duty bolt together square tubing frame. Their 4x6 model with 12" wheels was around $800 shipped. They stop making them because there was almost no margin in it and at that price point it's easy to find a local fab shop to make you a similar fully welded flatbed trailer.

Side Note: As the owner of Compact Camping Concepts, unforchunately I'm not a forum sponsor at this time. Although at some point I hope to grow to a level where I can.

thumper

Personally I think that there are plenty of bolt together light weight trailers available. If someone wants something a little more heavy duty without welding, then they should consider using 2x2x1/4 tubing in conjunction with unistrut brackets. They make many types of angles, and splices made from galv, or zinc plated 1/4" steel. These are available at most electric supply stores or box hardware stores. Also the strength test specs are available online for all to see.

In the example of makeing a 90 degree angle out of tube you can use 2- 90 degree double hole brackets (which have two 1/2" holes predrilled per side for a total of 4 bolt holes each bracket), use one on top, and one on bottom with grade 8 bolts, and you would have a really strong angle, probably second only to welding. This is a better than the flimsy bolt together trailers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94