Market Curiousity

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Hey Everyone,

Currently living in South Africa, and have the ability to get hands on many of the Land Rover Defenders that we Americans are unable to obtain. Thinking of exporting a few from here, and importing into the United States. I previously worked at a US Customs brokerage, and know how to go about importing/rules of importation. What type of desire do you think there is for these vehicles? I could pretty easily ship two over to test the waters. Benefit is prior knowledge, and my ability to look over the vehicles in person here in Africa. What is the current going price for a Defender 110? I have seen anywhere from 18,000-35,000$ depending on the condition of the vehicle. Thanks again y'all.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Hop over to Defender source and do research. Its covered thoroughly over at that website.

Cliff notes: You need to get a matching number truck. Only 110 Station wagons are profitable. 200TDI trucks are now legal to import, those should be what you consider. Also LHD trucks only. If you import crap, the community will call you out on it. There is a market for crap trucks (basically, you are importing some body parts and a VIN), as long as you market it as such and price accordingly, its fine. Original trucks are more desired than "modified" vehicles. So keeping it stock makes more sense (and cheaper).

Before you export it, go ahead and slap Puma body parts on. Cheaper to do it there vs. here.

Hey Everyone,

Currently living in South Africa, and have the ability to get hands on many of the Land Rover Defenders that we Americans are unable to obtain. Thinking of exporting a few from here, and importing into the United States. I previously worked at a US Customs brokerage, and know how to go about importing/rules of importation. What type of desire do you think there is for these vehicles? I could pretty easily ship two over to test the waters. Benefit is prior knowledge, and my ability to look over the vehicles in person here in Africa. What is the current going price for a Defender 110? I have seen anywhere from 18,000-35,000$ depending on the condition of the vehicle. Thanks again y'all.

PM sent.

spikemd

Explorer
There are quite a few available on ebay with ridiculous asking prices. People are trying to sell 80s tired trucks at the levels of NAS defenders which were limited to 500 110s and around 1500 90s. Most aren't selling but there is definitely a market. LHD is preferred and it has to be stock drivetrain or customs won't allow it. This means you cant take a RHD and convert to LHD and then ship it over. Updating interior and exterior is fine within reason. I am in the process of buying/importing a vehicle from Spain and learning the ropes myself. I will be in Barcelona next month to finalize details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior