Marble Canyon and Glen's Caynon

corbin8or

Adventurer
Just got back from spending a couple days exploring this area! WOW what a cool weekend!
Started off with a few friends taking a trip to remember our friend that died last year... 11 of us went up 8 adults a 7, 4 and 22 month old. What fun

Yesterday we took 6 kayaks up the Colorado river a few miles near Lee's Ferry. Mimi and paddled around a sunken Ferry that you could see because the water was incredibly clear. Sometimes you could see what seemed to be 40+ feet down! We paddled up stream a couple miles and found a nice litte beach where we had some lunch. Paddling a little more we came upon some strong currents and went over to shore where a couple guys went for a little hike and found some very clear fossil tracks that seemed to be a 3 toed dinosaur of some sort.

Camping was a thrill with the Camping Lab RTT (thanks Fernando!!)
everyone else in my group were in ground tents and found lizards and ants trying to get in all night. Mimi and I slept in with no disturbances at all!

Today we drove down the 89 a little more past the cliff dweller area and parked off the side of the road and hiked up an old miner's road a few hundred feet. We found fossils at various elevations, about half a mile in we were on a steep trail where my friend had a strap around him waist connected to my handcycle helping me get up the loose ground slopes with deep ravines crossing the trail. We came across what seemed to be the level that was sea bed many years ago... We found many fossils of shells, some fan shaped and a few nautilus ones! a hundred more feet up we found some very flat rocks that had what looked like bones in them. one even looked like a bird's wing. Then we found an old mining vehicle it looked to be an old power wagon, the frame, bed and front fenders connected by a grill. On the way down we found more things not seen on the way up including a small (maybe 3 foot) rattle snake that was resting under a little stack of rocks about a foot off the trail in sight of the trucks! They wouldn't let me play with him... even after I caught a horney toad the day before! (we named him Frank).

After all of this excitement we stopped at the Cliff Dwellers area and explored the cool living quarters built around the rocks.

I will have pictures as soon as Mimi gets them to me! :victory:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey I thought that was your Dakota! Hard to miss that rig. Saw you guys just west of Marble Canyon as we were coming back from a Boy Scout Campout.
Sounds like a great time.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Pics! Pics! I was out that area 2 weeks ago, but only saw Marble Canyon from the Marble Canyon overlook in the Kaibab National Forest....so I wanna see closeup stuff!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior