Maranda Slide In / Just Cut a Hole in the Roof for a Vent

Jonnyo

Observer
Finally got the ''finish'' the spacekap to be usable as a mobile office and ready to camp with the kids. I definitly finish this one on a budget keeping it very simple with folding single bed and doubles up as a queen and a small bed for 2 kids at the top. 2 windows, and a dometic cooler and porta potty. as simple as it gets and all for about 600-700lbs! about 2000$ into it now including the spacekap.
IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0993.JPGIMG_1001.JPGIMG_1003.JPGIMG_1005.JPGIMG_1006.JPGView attachment IMG_1007.JPGView attachment IMG_1007.JPG

erstwild

@Jonnyo Love how yours turned out! I am planning on ordering a new SpaceKap Diablo in the next couple months. If you don't mind, could you tell me this dimension that I cannot find? What is the interior width when you get above the shelf where it first flares out above the truck box? Thx!

Jonnyo

Observer
@Jonnyo Love how yours turned out! I am planning on ordering a new SpaceKap Diablo in the next couple months. If you don't mind, could you tell me this dimension that I cannot find? What is the interior width when you get above the shelf where it first flares out above the truck box? Thx!

if you send me your email, i have a engineering dimensional plan of the diablo so you would have all the dimension imaginable. Spacekap online service people sent it to me and it was helpfull in planning my build. While the diablo is one generation newer then mine...dimension have not really change at all.

at the front of the cabover, i think it s about 62 inches and flare up to 72 inches

erstwild

if you send me your email, i have a engineering dimensional plan of the diablo so you would have all the dimension imaginable. Spacekap online service people sent it to me and it was helpfull in planning my build. While the diablo is one generation newer then mine...dimension have not really change at all.

at the front of the cabover, i think it s about 62 inches and flare up to 72 inches

Thanks! I sent a direct message.

Robsled

Just got a used Maranda camper for my Tacoma. Before this, I had Northern Light and before that, a 4WC.

This is a new, more simple and much lighter option for me @ 440 pounds. Plus, it doubles as more space for work without concern I'm going to damage or scratch something.

Anyways, I needed some ventilation so I traced the outline of the vent. Happened to have a drill bit roughly the same angle as the edges so used that for the corners. Then went to town with a sawsall. All went well. It rained last night and no leaks.
How did you secure yours in the Tacoma bed? I just got a V165 as well and am waiting on jacks so I can install it properly (putting eps foam board under to get it to height) and looking at ways to mod the attachment brackets?

It is strange that they said that about the Tacoma as it is in their brochure on a Tacoma? I bought a used one that was on a Ranger so...

Attachments

• V165_14 FEV 2012.pdf
    868.7 KB · Views: 30

orrmn

I'm surprised these caps haven't been more popular as DIY campers.

I'm looking at them (used) and they are relatively cheap (less than 2k$ CAD). Add a cheap truck and camping gear and you're done!

The only thing I wish would be that getting a compatible flatbed for them be easier. To me the OEM bed is a waste of exterior storage space...
hey where have you been able to find these used? thanks!

Jonnyo

Observer
hey where have you been able to find these used? thanks!

all those units are made in canada. anywhere in kijiji or craigslist or facebook market, there are tons of them. i got a few of them for around 1500$. very fun to work with and relatively light overall.

if you are in the usa...might be harder to find used unit but there should still be some. people use those for work/contractor/plumber/electricien etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles