manual transmission for classic Range Rover

REDROVER

Explorer
Hello Kind folks I bought a 1991 classic Range Rover
I would like to convert it to manual transmission,
Can you guys help me with knowledge of what kind of transmission and parts I need to do the job ?

Thank you.0F11DFA6-AC35-49E8-AA26-EF5FAD0E1D0E.jpegD9D03D8E-1FBC-46C2-9080-E3F1858D509F.jpeg63E4D4EF-E42D-41EF-9610-EE33BB518764.jpeg

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I believe these would have come with a LT77 and LT230, if you wanted it with a manual.

You'll need a lot of parts to convert it. Or find a grey market RRC here in the states. They have manual transmissions all over europe, but getting the parts here is going to be expensive. On top of that, you'll have to change out the pedal box. If you have ABS, you'll be even more screwed. There isn't room enough for the clutch master cylinder.

The automatic transmissions in these things will out live the life of the vehicle. They are tough and reliable. If you change the fluid every once and awhile.

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
The interesting thing is why you'd want to change to manual ?

I have driven all boxes & engines in RRC's and the ZF with a BW is about as nice as they come.

Like Mr. getlost mentioned, oil needs changing in shorter intervals then reccomended - and use good quality oils & filters and they are very nice drive lines.

Converting is not difficult, just a lot of work : pedal box, tunnel, flywheel, clutch etc. to mentiona few things.

Doable, obviously.

But in original set up.....

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Defendersource and NasRow both have active parts for sale sections. Those Range Rovers have LT77s, and you will want an LT230 as opposed to some with Borg Warners. Typically I see one or two LT77s with LT230s attached for cheap sold together about every month or so.

My supposition is you will need
>trans LT77 (honestly cheap, people are always selling these as take off items)
>LT230 (available all over, forums, ebay etc.) You will need to remove the shift lock solenoid and blank it off if you get one from an auto trans donor
>clutch housing
>bell housing
>new flywheel? not sure
>various clutch parts
>clutch master
>clutch slave
>new pedal box (or modify)

FWIW you can get manual RRs as more have been imported the last few years. Might be worth looking into if you don't want to invest a ton of money and effort into a swap

Red90

Adventurer
Or an R380. You just need to make sure you get the V8 version from a Discovery or Range Rover. It is not a big job to change over.

Saint Nick

As above, it's doable as most things are if you have the time, skill and money, but as already asked, why change?

Nick

Ray_G

Explorer
As noted by Red, an R380 fm a manual disco could do the job. You'll want the whole truck as a donor probably, or at a minimum the pedal box and core elements, which you'll need to modify. You'll also be doing some trim work to make it all right.

Not impossible, particularly from a pure mechanical perspective. Just time consuming to not make look like a hack job.

I would also add please don't take a good working order manual disco off the road, there aren't enough of those...and you'll hurt the fairly rare bird of a non rusting RRC that you have to.

I'd seek out an importable manual RRC vice taking on the project personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

headdamage

Observer
My 1993 200tdi RRC came with an LT77s, when we converted it from rhd to lhd the peddle box needed changing and wold likely be the hardest part of your conversion. Finding a peddle assembly would make it quite easy.

REDROVER

Explorer
I have red all of your comments and gave a thought,
I think it better if I keep it automatic for now,
As much as I like stick shift, I do understand that automatic is more capable, and it doesn’t make sense to hurt perfectly nice Range Rover for the conversion.

I appreciate all of your help and knowledge.

Saint Nick

I have red all of your comments and gave a thought,
I think it better if I keep it automatic for now,
As much as I like stick shift, I do understand that automatic is more capable, and it doesn’t make sense to hurt perfectly nice Range Rover for the conversion.

I appreciate all of your help and knowledge.

Good decision, and I reckon you won't regret it.

Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles