Manual sink faucet pumps

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I've never used one but I'm thinking I'm going to go this route. I did like the convenience of the 12v diaphragm pump with the auto pressure switch but it has gotten moisture in the motor and has seizing issues. I've taken it apart a few times, gotten it unfrozen and try to dry/relubricate/reseal only for it to be seized again the next time I try it.

I do have a natural preference for simple, manual apparatuses, so I think I'd like a manual pump sink faucet. The camper must have had one originally--the hole pattern is still there.

Does anyone have any specific example recommendations?
Does clear, vinyl tubing have enough crush-resistance for about a 3-foot lift, or do I need some more rigid tubing?
Is it practical to use a manual pump faucet for teeth brushing, dish washing, etc?

The sink and the outside spigot are the only outlets for the water system...no shower, water heater, etc.

Thanks!

tnt

Observer
I saw a FWC outfitted with a foot pump powered faucet once. I really like that idea because it leaves both hands free. They are common with yachties so check a marine supply for something like that.

rayct77

Observer
I've never used one but I'm thinking I'm going to go this route. I did like the convenience of the 12v diaphragm pump with the auto pressure switch but it has gotten moisture in the motor and has seizing issues. I've taken it apart a few times, gotten it unfrozen and try to dry/relubricate/reseal only for it to be seized again the next time I try it.

I do have a natural preference for simple, manual apparatuses, so I think I'd like a manual pump sink faucet. The camper must have had one originally--the hole pattern is still there.

Does anyone have any specific example recommendations?
Does clear, vinyl tubing have enough crush-resistance for about a 3-foot lift, or do I need some more rigid tubing?
Is it practical to use a manual pump faucet for teeth brushing, dish washing, etc?

The sink and the outside spigot are the only outlets for the water system...no shower, water heater, etc.

Thanks!

If you are not messing with hot water then I would recommend this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Attwood-RV-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ece090749&vxp=mtr

Actually this is a screaming deal. These are usually over $70. Looks like there is only a couple left.

Basically if you are hooked up to city water then you just unscrew the round top slightly to allow water flow. If you are drawing water from your tank you unscrew the round top all the way and pump for water. And yes it provides plenty of water to brush teeth, dishes, etc. I put it in my Alaskan and used heavy vinyl tubing. They are nice faucets.

Chris

subterran

Adventurer
I used this one in both of my builds:
http://www.amazon.com/Mark-PUMP-Gal...id=1392760927&sr=8-3&keywords=whale+hand+pump

Super simple, reliable, and made for salt water, so it should be pretty durable. Clear tubing works great, and this pump easily overcomes the 6 feet of distance and 4 feet of head from my tank to the sink. It also holds prime very well. One drawback though: both of mine leak just a tad in use. I just keep the cleanup sponge laying around, and it generally sucks up any leakage pretty well.

The hole on my counter was too big, so I went to Bed, Bath, and Broke and bought a 1/4' thick cheap polyeth cutting board, and cut it down into a square 'cover', and redrilled the hole for the new handpump. It works perfectly, and looks good, too!

faucet.JPG

Whale also makes the foot pump style mentioned above, if you're so motivated:
http://www.amazon.com/Gusher-Galley...id=1392761205&sr=8-1&keywords=whale+foot+pump
(you have to add some sort of faucet tube at the sink)

Good luck!

uriedog

metal melter
I use a hand pump in my winter camper. It works really well. I have it mounted on my counter with clear 3/8 hose hanging inside the cupboard. I just use a portable 10L tank that is easily removed for filling or pour boiled snow into. Just have to remember to pull the water tank when you park the unit unheated for a long time. I normally pull the hose out, pump the pump a few times and then it does not freeze. If I had more room I would have used the 25L tank. We normally go through about 8L / per day. Washing dishes, drinking, cooking, and teeth.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Appreciate it. I hadn't seen more of those options before. I was mainly coming across these two styles:

images

images

I do think I'll go manual instead of electric. Now I just have to choose. Thanks for the confirmation of the vinyl tubing.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have used that bottom chrome one a couple of times and I like that I can fit a clear hose to the faucet itself to direct water somewhere else if I need.
Will work great for years and cheap if you need to replace it...can be found around the US at most RV shops

Freebird

Adventurer
I like the concept. No batt power required. For me, it would be grand. For my DW, well, that idea/concept might not pass the "convenience test"......
Men are from Mars, women are from......elsewhere....

fisher205

Explorer
I have the lower chrome model and it doesn't pump very much water and tends to leak. I am looking for a better pump. Look to see what the flow rate for each. It would drive you crazy to fill up your Camelback from one.

Other good things about hand pumps is that people only pump what they need and no one just let's the water run. Both are great for water conservation.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
haha--just where are women from, anyway? (I suppose they'd say the same about us)

Thanks Fisher. I guess I'll look at more reviews. I probably won't actually be buying till the weather warms up.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Sorry to revive a zombie thread, but this looks to be the most recent source of info on the subject. Does anybody know if any of these pumps could easily be mounted on a vertical surface, instead of a counter top? (i.e. will the faucet swivel around, etc.)

I want to go simple hand-pump for my van (since simple gravity-drain doesn't provide enough head pressure to get much flow, due to position of tank, etc.), but will probably need to mount it on a vertical surface. (Alternatively, could mount on a horizontal surface IF the depth below the "counter" was pretty short - will have to build an elevated platform for it, and don't want to waste a lot of space...)

Thanks!

subterran

Adventurer
The whale pump would work mounted vertically, and the spout will rotate 360, but you'd have to do something about the tip of the spout to get it to squirt the direction you want. You can vary the mounting depth, too (what doesnt wind up below, you gain above) I have not measured it, but i would guess that minimum below counter mount depth is about 3". You might even get a little shorter with some 45 degree tubing angles.

I suspect you could make use of most of these, if you were willing to be a bit creative. Maybe buy the cheapest one and play around a bit. Maybe chop off the bend at the spout, and splice on some rigid tube. At $16 or so, what could it hurt? Good luck with your project!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online