Manual hubs=light flash

scrubber3

Not really here
A couple months ago I installed manual hubs in my 95 Montero LS. I was just wondering if it is common to have the 4x4 indicator light flash when putting a load on the engine. The 4x4 solenoids are new. I figure it is just the norm that the system detects that the front is not moving anymore or something to that effect. Posted this up on the wire as well.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Shot in the dark from a Jeep guy here:elkgrin:

Is your Monte a 'full time' 4WD?

If so, did you also install a kit into the T-case when you installed the lock outs?

Just wondering if it's possible that the T-case is trying to push power to the front axle when 'under load'?

And that causes the 4x4 light to flash on.

scrubber3

Not really here
No, Montys are not all time AWD. I do appreciate the help though. I think the issue has to do with vacuum to the front differential diaphragm somehow now that I think about it and a possible intake leak. Or maybe a vacuum blockage somewhere. I am positive it is not mechanical or electrical. Runs perfect though and has new plugs and wires and upper intake plenum gasket as well as a new fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump. It's worth having the manual hubs to have to see a flashing light on occasion.

scrubber3

Not really here
Thanks Ray. I searched in the realm of manual hubs. I looked over those threads. I will do some more troubleshooting tomorrow.

shov3lbum

Adventurer
As a fellow Montero owner, although Montero Sport owner, I know of many who have run into solenoid and actuator problems with the 4wd system. The problem seems to come up when the 4wd lever hasn't been engaged in a long time, what I and others have done in the past is engage and disengage the 4wd continuously until the light and/or actuator engages. Otherwise the problem is with the free wheel actuator most of the time, I would stop by monterosportonline.com as I come from there and there is a very very active group of montero sport and montero users that I'm sure can trouble shoot your problems or that you could find in the forums from the past.

-Jefferson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier