Manifold Cooking Engine Cooking

CLynn85

Explorer
Engine Cooking

Pretty sure there's been a thread like this before but I thought this was pretty cool and worth sharing.

Stretch 67 from JeepForum:

This past weekend I got tired of cold mini ravioli again.

So to improve on the old military trick of putting C-ration cans under the hood of a truck or jeep to warm up your lunch, I built this...
jeepstove.jpg

And put it here.

jeepstove2.jpg

I drilled and tapped a couple 1/4-20 holes into the top of the cast-iron extension between the motor mount and the block, then bolted in the JeepStove using stainless screws and blue LocTite.

No more cold Chef Boyardee for this old Marine.

Bon appetit!

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
That brings back memories...we used to through frozen burritos wrapped in foil on the manifold during road trips.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I have been wanting to do this on my truck for SOOOOOOO long. My heat shield is missing on the manifold. Lots of room in that area under the hood to make a decent size burrito cooker. Plan to make a box to use the existing holes as a mounting point. I want to make mine as a oven with a door or lid becasue of the mud we deal with here.

Trying to figure out how to regulate the heat. Looks like the manifold hits 500 on the hwy so plenty of heat available.

fisher205

Explorer
Watch about venting the cans. I forgot a can of Minestrone soup on the manifold of a 4-71 Diesel and blew it up all over the cabin of my dad's crane.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Thats a cool mod. The Brits I've trained with had similar setups on thier Landies as well as a vehicle mounted tea pot setup for tea time in the field... we had nada so were very jealous and PO'd that Uncle Sam hadnt provided us with anything similar for hot foof and coffee...

Maddmatt

Explorer
fisher205 said:
Watch about venting the cans. I forgot a can of Minestrone soup on the manifold of a 4-71 Diesel and blew it up all over the cabin of my dad's crane.

Word up. Years ago I covered a camp site with Chef Boyardee. I cut the top off the can and propped it up in the camp fire. That glop must have had some serious surface tension, because right before I guessed it was probably done, hot Beef a Roni shot out of the can and covered everything.

So for those keeping score, in camp I have blown up hot things (Chef Boy Ardee) and cold things (dry ice).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior