Mancation-A Loose Plan to Exploring SOME of Utah's Treasures

mph

Expedition Leader
Each May, my wife and daughter go to Florida to visit my wife's mother. I can't go due to work. Now, don't get me wrong about Naples, Florida. It sounds nice. But, two weeks off with no commitments, no schedule? Are you kidding me? I think any family man could relate. The first weekend, I escaped down to the San Rafael Swell to do some biking with a friend. My second weekend involved my good friend, Shane, and 4 days to explore, hike, photograph, and play in Utah's wild. Shane is always out in the wild shooting film. However, I can usually steer him up from his home state of Arizona to visit the wilds of Utah.

The Mancation started with a real loose plan. "How about we meet south of Hanksville?", Shane asked.
"Sounds good!", I replied. Shane, www.shaneknight.com, wanted to photograph some crazy rock formations. I loaded the cruiser with camping, hiking, and canyoneering items. I was off to play. The weather looked stellar. Highs in the mid 60s to 70. The weather turned nasty in Park City as I drove south and looked forward to doing whatever, whenever...

The plan turned into an awesome reality. Here's the proof...Enjoy!
(some photos courtesy of Shane Knight)

The morning sun rose and it was glorious...Shane was out shooting. Sunrise shots...Time to go find him...

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 092.jpg

Shane shoots an 8 x 10...How much per shot I asked? $30 he replied...Ahhh...I guess I will stick with digital for now:)

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 104.jpg

Shane having fun with my digital camera...

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 122.jpg

Off to hike some slots...The colors were glorious.

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 134.jpg

All the slots were narrow, of course, and bone dry...

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 163.JPG

A nice canyon stroll approaching and departing the darker slots..

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 170.jpg

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 177.jpg

The road led us south...When I see the red dirt, I know the road will be good...Usually not washboarded and growing junipers and pinon pines...

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 182.jpg

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 185.jpg

The road and hike showed itself...The view was killer!

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 196.jpg

Day 1 ended...More to come!

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
Day Two...

Day 2 started out on the Mesa...The day's objective was to find signs of the past. Hike for ruins and rockart. Not a bad way to spend the day...

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 208.jpg
Gotta love Utah! Yes, the road continued under the highway. It was crazy to see mud streaks on the top of the culvert. Luckily, no flash flood today...smooth sailing.

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 212.jpg

Views galore...it was good to be back on the Mesa.

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 221.jpg

Gaining altitude, we soon were cruising through a large ponderosa pine forest.

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 226.jpg

Shane entering the site...Hard to believe that the Ancient Ones used the same route during the years 1230-1280...

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 228.jpg

Big views!

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 253.jpg

This was a spot that got my attention! Slip here...you die...No exaggeration! It was 400 feet down!

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 285.jpg

Shane working...

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 281.jpg

Always like looking at the black entryways...majestic? spooky?

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 306.jpg

I continued to search the site for a rock art panel. There were 45 rooms here...There had to be one...found it! It was old, faded, but nice...Do you see the Bear Paw?

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 324.jpg

Always wondered what the BLM was doing by chaining acres of junipers and pinon pines...Trying to let the natural grasses grow back. This chaining and grassing was done in 1953. It was gorgeous! Lush, green, and tall grasses growing everywhere!

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
Day 3...

Day 2 ended with the sunset view of the Comb Ridge. The red walls of this 100 rock uplift just glow when the sun is in the western sky.

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 321.jpg

This ruin caught our eye on Day 3. It was a gorgeous granary. One of the nicest I have seen...Tried Black and White...

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 399.jpg

We found a great treasure...A mano that ground corn 800 years ago. We left it in place...Hopefully, the outdoor museum continues.

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 405.jpg

I have never seen this...It appears that it was a door once and then they remodel to make it a complete wall. Who knew that they believed and practice home improvements!! Very unique!

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 408.jpg

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 412.jpg

Slickrock and big views...A great camping spot!

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 446.jpg

The road out with the Bear's Ears peaking in the distance...

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 447.jpg

Exploring the slickrock shadows in the evening hours...

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 466.jpg

Cottonwoods in full...

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 465.jpg

I slept well on my cot this evening...A full day on tap tomorrow before pointing the cruiser north and home...

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
Day 4-The Turn to Home...

The fourth and final day put me back at a spot to explore some slots...The weather was perfect.
lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 475.jpg

Grab the backpack and camera and explore...Mother Nature at work.
lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 480.jpg

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 482.jpg

Molly's Castle in the distance...Sun, Upper 60's...A good desert ramble. What might I find?

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 487.jpg

Getting more interesting...Still Looking...

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 490.jpg

This spot grabbed my attention. It was a black hole. What lies below? A 90 foot rappel game me the answer. Spooky, dark, and beautiful.

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 497.jpg

My way out...Follow the light!

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 510.jpg

Out in the sun...The Sego Lillys were blooming!

lilly's 5th birthday and mikeshanes trip 513.jpg

It was time to head north...Time to head home...Time to clean the house! My wife was coming back home. Oh boy!
Game over!

Until next time...

Last edited:

Topgun514

Adventurer
mph, this is amazing. All of your shots are great. I was wondering if you could PM some of these destinations if they are not too secret. I always do 3 night trips and yours are so inspiring!

Maybe we could do a one for one and I'd divulge Escalante/ GSENM sites.

mkitchen

Explorer
That was neat, thanks!

Enjoyed the tour. Mighty fine looking country to be travelling in. Me thinks the wife missed out when she went to Florida. Your friend's camera looks a bit heavy, bet it puts out a great picture.
Mikey

mph

Expedition Leader
Yeah...my wife missed out. She has been to many of theses places before though...it was fun to text her where I was and she would say, "oh yeah!" The weather lucked out for us...it was in mid 90s in Florida. And yes, Shane's camera is heavy!

Enjoyed the tour. Mighty fine looking country to be travelling in. Me thinks the wife missed out when she went to Florida. Your friend's camera looks a bit heavy, bet it puts out a great picture.
Mikey

mph

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the kind words. Be in touch!

mph, this is amazing. All of your shots are great. I was wondering if you could PM some of these destinations if they are not too secret. I always do 3 night trips and yours are so inspiring!

Maybe we could do a one for one and I'd divulge Escalante/ GSENM sites.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Stunning photography and excellent writeup. Thanks for sharing. Don't tell anyone where your sites are. Finding them for yourself is half the fun!

Please put up some more of this stuff. It just gets me more pumped up to get back there and do some real canyon hiking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94