MAN unicat spotted @ Wal-Mart

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Gotta love the $16,000 "dirt bike" (or is that the dinghy?) on back.

:roost:

toyrunner95

Explorer
yeah dude, that thing is massive! does it even fit under bridges! it doesnt even look like it would be street legal.

toyrunner95 said:
yeah dude, that thing is massive! does it even fit under bridges! it doesnt even look like it would be street legal.

Yes it is street legal. The legal height limit in Europe is 4.0 m = 13'1". In the US it varies between states between 13' and 13'6". That particular truck on the Unicat website is 3.87m = 12'8", with the top down of course.
My U500/Unicat is 11'3"; with the unmounted spare on the roof and A/C it's 12'7".
They do not seem top-heavy. Look underneath a vehicle like my U500 and you'll see why; the drivetrain components are enormous and my center of gravity is about 51" above the ground or only 5" above the tops of the tires.
With the exception of things like the tire there is very little up high. Interestingly I estimate my two spare tires raise my C.G. about 1.25", they are only 2% of the weight of the truck. Beware heavy loads on roof racks.

Charlie

HINO SG

Adventurer
charlieaarons said:
In the US it varies between states between 13' and 13'6".
Charlie

Well, the federal mimimum is 13'6". Arn't there a lot of other roads besides the interstate that are required to meet a federal standard like that, and which states don't?

When driving thru Oklahoma late at night with Avi Meyers in his Int'l/Unicat (me in my U500) we went under an overpass that was either 13' or 13'6", I don't remember which. That's the lowest I've ever seen on a public road. Although in France there was an exit on the autoroute marked "3.6m" which would have required partial tire deflation. At that point I didn't have the spare on the roof.

Charlie

Robthebrit

Explorer
hinoranger said:
Well, the federal mimimum is 13'6". Arn't there a lot of other roads besides the interstate that are required to meet a federal standard like that, and which states don't?

I think the federal minimum height on a bridge only applies to freeways and federally funded roads, There are lots of none freeway tunnels which are not 13 foot 6 (The top of sepulveda in LA is only 11 foot 6)

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94