MAN Camper in Alabama

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Wow, a genuine ActionMobil right here in the US of A!

I'll bet he can get his asking price.

Personally, (if I had the money), I would have to have some serious rassuranaces as to how it was legally imported. It would be a real bummer to have a beauty like that confinscated by the feds.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I don't see any license plates in the photos and the description says nothing about being imported into the US. It does say it can be shipped back to Europe. I doubt it has been imported to the US. A truck without a country??

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Being a 1992 it could be legally imported into Canada :)
However I doubt it will find a buyer. A quarter of a million for a vehicle that has no dealers or parts availability in North America ? My guess is that it will be heading back to Europe.

Unless Charlie is looking for a second Unicat (oops: Actionmobil) for when his Unimog is in the shop...just kidding!

Cheers
Mark

egn

Adventurer
I am sure this vehicle is nice to drive on paved and gravel roads, but it is certainly no real offroad vehicle. For this the departure angle is just to small, and it is DRW with all the associated problems.

The asking price seems to be a bit high, even it is an Action Mobil. I think here in Europe you you wouldn't get much more than about $200.000, because of its age and it is no real offroad vehicle. For Europe the emissions of such old vehicles are to high.

tamangel

Adventurer
MAN Info...

eventually the CL citation will disappear and this thread will be useless. Here's the pic's featured and narrative for possible later discussions:

Mike

Man Diesel with all wheel drive, new Michelin tires, solar power, generator, AC. All terain capability and exceptional quality. New paint and great condition. Hydraulic motorcyle lift with bike rack. Sleeps 5. Many other extras. Call Ralph at 256.236.0005 or email ambrose@hiwaay.net. "Action Mobile" of Austria and "Man" vehicles of Germany produced this amazing 4WD (really 6WD), road / off road motorhome. With my upgrades and refittings complete, this 1992 unit with approximately 100,000 Mlles, is ready for use within North, Central, or South American. Shipping back to Europe can be arranged.

1. 200 gallon water tank
2. 100 gallon diesel tank
3. 30 gallon gasoline tank
3. 6 cylinder, 7 liter Turbo, 11 mpg
4. air cushioned cab seats
5. 2 air-conditioning units
6. 8 solar panel unit on roof
7. radiant heating system, power supplied by both propane and diesel
8. 10 gallon boiler
9. washing machine
10. microwave
11. Alpine stereo, tape and CD
12. satellite communications / telex
13. GPS
14. electronic compass
15. rear camera with cab monitor
16. hydraulic lift for motorcycle and bicycles
17. driving, fog, and orating lights
18. compressor refrigerator (operates at any angle)
19. snow chains permanently mounted underneath and controlled in cab
20. efficiently designed bath area
21. wet locker - standup, heated, with drain
22. onan generator (only 31 hr.)
23. rock guard for windshield permanently mounted over cab
24. sleeps 5 (two queen, one single)
25. extensive repaint
26. four tires recently replaced
27. parts and repair manuals in German and English
28. storage areas both inside and outside are extensive
29. new Fiamma awning with zip out screen windows in walls
30. roll up security barrier between cab and living area.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I wonder if this vehicle ever was imported legally to the US or if it is a "tourist vehicle" If that's the case, it is a) illegal for the owner to sell it and b) pretty much impossible for the buyer to license here.

I don't think even the $200,000 would be realistic for Europe; I'd think more in the $100,000 to $140,000. With 100,000 miles, it is unlikely that anything has already seen extensively re-build, but my guess is that this vehicle was shipped to South America and made it's way up to the US, which means these miles probably were rather tough. Also the "extesive repaint" raises some question marks.

Buyer beware!!

VikingVince

Explorer
offroad_nomad said:
I have no knowledge of these vehicles, could someone please explain why these are illegal in the US? Thanks.

I believe it generally has to do with the vehicle not meeting US emission requirements.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
offroad_nomad said:
I have no knowledge of these vehicles, could someone please explain why these are illegal in the US? Thanks.

Like VikingVince said, we have doubts as to whether it was legally imported. To be legally imported, it basically has to meet one of two criteria:

1. Be built to meet US DOT and EPA regulations. Since this truck type, AFIK, was never available for sale in the US, there is no reason why MAN would have built it to meet those regulations.

2. Be more than 25 years old. Vehicles over 25 years old are basically exempt from US EPA / DOT regulations, and can be imported. The truck is advertised as a 1992, which would make it 16 years old. As OutbackCamper pointed out, it can be legally imported into Canada, as they have an exemption on 15?-year-old vehicles, but it does not meet the US exemption requirements.

I have heard about ways of getting newer foreign-born vehicles into the US, but they are, strictly speaking, illegal, and you would run the risk of having the EPA or DOT confiscate and destroy the vehicle if they found out.

That's the way I understand it, but I'm no expert.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94