MAN 6x6 camper

egn

Adventurer
Carlyle said:
Check out this beast that was on the Vermont Unimog:

I know the regular T815. Be sure that you won't drive 135 km/h with off-road tyres. And the fuel consumption is extraodinary high.

And you know where the engine is? In the mid of the drivers cabin. You get deaf when going on high rpms.

The 6x6 version was on my short list. But I decided against it because it is just to heavy because of the central tube frame. The problem with 8x8 is that you loose valuable space below the cabin for storage. And the cabin itself cannot be much longer than on a 6x6.

The few times an 8x8 would be really beneficial like when passing a trench is not really worth it. BTW, I would only take the T815 if it has full air suspension. Otherwise you will kill your tyres on regular road very fast.

egn

Adventurer
Lynn said:
Actually, I think something more like this is what I need. Just not what I want. ;)

I have seen a few SCAM motorhomes. They are really nice and compact. But you have to look at the weight if you take the smaller model.

Be sure and let us know when your travels are going to bring you to the US. There are lots of folks on this board that would like to meet you as you travel through.

This will be a few year in the future when we are going to be full-timers. In the near future we will go more in the easterly direction. But thanks for the invitation. It is always nice to meet people with similar interests. :D

Last edited:

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
kerry said:
Thanks for posting that link. If I read the truck brochure correctly, that engine is air cooled. Anyone here have experience with air cooled diesels? I believe some European truck mfg's used a lot of them but I've never seen one. What do people think of the 90kph top speed? Can anyone translate the 40 liters of fuel per 100 kilometers into mpg? 5 or 6 mpg?

There are a ton of Deutz diesels in north america, water pumps, generators, air compressors,farm equipment. I have worked on lots of construction equipment powered by Deutz and the engines never gave any trouble. Rental fleets love them, that generally speaks volumes.

egn

Adventurer
I would like to provide you some of the images I posted at the Motorhome forum and additional ones.
Please beware, some of the images are older when the car was not finshed yet. Of course, such a rig is never really finished. :oops:

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Emil,

Thanks for all the additional info and pictures. The interior of your rig really looks great. If I hadn't known better, I would have thought I was looking at pictures of a Unicat or Action Mobil interior. Did you do the work yourself, or have it done?

I'm curious about a couple of things, if you have the time...

Did you do a pass-through from cabin to cab? I assume that's the reason for the door by the dinette, but I was under the impression that the trucks engine is behind the cab, so I can't figure how that would work. Isn't there quite a space between the cabin and cab?

Also, you mentioned the noise level on some of the Magruis trucks. I assume that since your truck is former miliitary, and uses the air-cooled Deutz engine, that engine noise had to be dealt with. Did you do extensive sound-proofing in the cab? What did you use? What's the noise level like?

egn said:
IThis will be a few year in the future when we are going to be full-timers. In the near future we will go more in the easterly direction. But thanks for the invitation. It is always nice to meet people with similar interests. :D

Hey, maybe by the time you come to the States I'll have some kind of camper, and we could meet up on the beach!

Thanks for all the info.

Lynn

egn

Adventurer
Lynn said:
Did you do the work yourself, or have it done?

I did most of the detail planning and the electrical installation. The rest was done by http://www.enfatec.de .

Did you do a pass-through from cabin to cab? I assume that's the reason for the door by the dinette, but I was under the impression that the trucks engine is behind the cab, so I can't figure how that would work. Isn't there quite a space between the cabin and cab?

It is planned to go over the roof into the drivers cabin. There ist still the opening for the machine gun :gunt: , but this cannot be opened from outside. This is not yet implemented. For now we can use the space on top the roof as veranda. ;)

Also, you mentioned the noise level on some of the Magruis trucks. I assume that since your truck is former miliitary, and uses the air-cooled Deutz engine, that engine noise had to be dealt with.

The engine noise is not that bad for normal rpms below 2.000. We have modified the gearbox to reduce the rpms. Normally the engine would run at 2,600 rpm at 90 km/h, because it was optimized for military speed of 60 km/h. Now it runs at runs at about 1,800 rpms at 90 km/h.

Did you do extensive sound-proofing in the cab? What did you use? What's the noise level like?

We have planned to do some sound-proofing when we make the interior of the driving cab. It is not ready yet. But the noise level is not that bad now. It is hard to compare to something, but you can talk to each other without being to loud. If have no problem to understand the navigation system.

Hey, maybe by the time you come to the States I'll have some kind of camper, and we could meet up on the beach!

Would be great! :jumping:

Emil

offroadchef

Adventurer
Egn,
Welcome, You have a very nice truck. One of the pics on a other post show a German truck with red writing on the plates. What does the red mean?.

Markus

haven

Expedition Leader
more info

There's lots of information about the materials used to build Emil's rig at the specialty builder's web site

http://www.globallinking.de/54.0.html

More photos, too. For example, check out this design for entry stairs.

IMG_7392.jpg

The stair treads fold flat for storage, and the whole assembly slides under the cabin while on the road. It's very useful to have the stairs parallel to the side of the vehicle, rather than extend out perpendicular to the side. This lets you deploy the stairs in tight parking situations.

Chip Haven

egn

Adventurer
haven said:
The stair treads fold flat for storage, and the whole assembly slides under the cabin while on the road.

Actually the stairs are not slide below the cabin, they slide in front of the cabin in the space between the driver cabin and the cabin. This space can be locked to prevent theft. You can see the space on the following image just behind the spare tire:

f3f8c69d0a.jpg

It's very useful to have the stairs parallel to the side of the vehicle, rather than extend out perpendicular to the side. This lets you deploy the stairs in tight parking situations.

The folding stairs can be put at any side of the retractable platform. The platform has holes at about 2" distance. We use the folding stairs only at a place were we stay longer and where we feel secure. For quick access we have a removeable ladder that is stored at the inside of the cabin door. You can see the lower end on the image above with the folding stairs and the ladder at the garage at the above image. We can remove the ladder from inside at night to prevent easy access from outside. This ladder can also be used to get easy access to all openings of the cabin. It sticks in special holders just below each opening.

XXXpedition

Explorer
egn, this is such a sweet truck. very nice.
so, if i see it correctly haven was partially right... the platform slides under the cabin, but the stair is a seperate peace for easy relocation where needed.
makes it even better...
sven

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Emil,

Do you happen to have a 'birdseye' picture of the area between the truck cab and the cabin?

How about pictures of the inside of the truck cab?

Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles