Making the JK A/C Colder for <$2

Longtallsally

Adventurer
I'd say it is- especially if you are idling.

Another thought I just had for the OP as well in terms of refrigerant, running the compressor all the time and temps he is getting at the vent. Refrigerants also have lubricants in them, and if you are down on refrigerant, it's kinda like running on low/no oil in your engine; eventually it will seize. So if you are low on refrigerant, AND running the compressor all the time, you will certainly burn up the compressor. Now most systems I've seen have a safety switch that cuts power to the compressor clutch when you are too low on refrigerant so the compressor is saved, but in the new fangled machines I don't know if this is the case.

Also, in older cars, there used to be an inspection window on or around the receiver/dryer that if you saw bubbling or white in there, your junk was hosed. I don't know if this is there in the JK and I've not looked as mine is essentially a brand new car, but something maybe to look for.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I've been offline for a while, thought I'd answer some questions.

-Yes, the 62 was not at a moving temp.

-The vehicle is a 2008 Jeep JK Rubicon

-Yes the resistor is before the thermistor: I did it at the plug.

-The JK does not have a viewing/inspection window. The oil level is adequate and I did not add much refrigerant.

-I'm currently getting ~12MPG, so I don't care about the minimum power/fuel efficiency losses.

-Buy running the compressor 100% of the time the A/C circuit is energizes, I expect the compressor to last longer than constantly cycling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94