Making Skid plates for my Gen 3

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
_ SO you guys may remember my skidplate build to replace the plastic one on my truck. Well I started on the skid plate for the transmission today, I was out camping a couple weeks ago and while I was parking I managed to uproot a large boulder somehow. I didn't even see the thing, I was in a designated camp site! On top of that I didn't even want to camp there but while carefully navigating the boulder stuck under my truck I popped a hole in my tire! As I guided the boulder away from the soft bits under the truck I thought about how crappy my day would have been had I hit the transmission. Then I thought about how crappy my pretend tire was and how it picked my campsite for me (wasn't the worst thing really)
|
|

tire.jpg

camp.jpg
|
|
|

_ Here's the new front diff skid I made because I don't want to hit the axle disconnect and be stuck in 2WD on the trail like StokerExplosion. (Thanks for putting that under the axle Mitsubishi)
|

skid 1.jpg
|

And the template for the transmission. I hope to get started on this guy after my vacation next week, hopefully the trails I have planned for the week are nice to me because i'll be alone and far away from home (Bay Area)
|

skid 3.jpg
|
|
|
|*******Does anyone else have text formatting issues on this forum? WYSIWYG does not work.

Toasty

For those who don't know what an axle disconnect is...

CAD.jpg

This one is on StokerExplosion's truck, you don't want it taking a beating because it doesn't take much to ruin and it's the part that engages the front axle when you tell the truck you want to be in 4WD. Without it you are stuck in 2WD, we were able to force it locked and held it in place with zip ties luckily. That happened on our trip to Hackberry Creek last month, how unfortunate.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I have also hit that (4wd actuator, I thought it was called) due to not have skid protection. Great place to add a little armor.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
That looks great!
What material do you plan on using?

Cheers

Toasty

10ga stainles steel, and you know me I'll make a bunch for my homies.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Let's make one thing perfectly clear: Mark's online name is Stroker Explosion. And yes, he needs one of these, too.

John B.

zerodrift

Adventurer
Just returned from a trip early due to trail damage that could have easily been avoided with skid plates. Suffice to say, the priority of these had been bumped up. Soon as they are available, will pick up the front and mid sections from you.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

DSouth

Observer
+1 on the interest list. Making some for my rig has been on the list for a while, but somehow always gets pushed down.

MoabRefugee

Observer
I was ready to pull the trigger on your Mid Plate, but held off as I had concerns about compatibility with complete sets (Boo's), as I would like the additional coverage. Will you be offering these shortly through ADD? If so, I am in. Am I better off ordering both simultaneously? I have been putting off some more adventurous trips due to the lack of skids (and noisy wheel bearings, which I just ordered); Skids are next. Any idea for cost of both? I would much rather support domestic manufacturing rather than International shippers and AUS mfr's. Just out of curiosity, what might I be looking at for additional weight? I am planning a Sabre style stealth winch mount and deciding what front spring rate might be needed with skids and winch as added weight.

Toasty

_ The front diff skids are available actually, it's mostly a joke because i'm at risk of being booted on this forum for pushing my wares without sponsorship. Exportal wants $1500 a year to advertise here. ONE i won't make that this year, i still have everything to R&D (I DON"T GET PAID YET) TWO i just went out and made my own forum and donated it to the Mitsubishi 4WD community. So as much as i'd like to sponsor this forum i can think of a lot more ways to give back to the Montero group with that money in the mean time.
Once Adventure Driven is profiting and putting money in my pocket i'll gladly sponsor this forum, Expedition Portal is a reasonably cool place and i'm sure there is room for us in the Toyota and Jeep markets here. I'm just small time right now.
_ I'll weigh a skid plate this week, I don't actually know what they weigh. As for producing more skid plates, i don't actually have any money to just make more. What i do is build on my initial investment, I built some basic bumpers all by hand with minimal tools to fund R&D and a run of parts. Some of you remember the panhard rods? Once i sold the initial run of those i used that money to fund the idler kingpins, then the first Gen 3 skidplate, then once the first run of those were sold I revised the first skidplate and did something stupid. The stupid thing i did was R&D 3 things at once, Gen 2 front, Gen 2 front diff, Gen 1/2 winch mount. That turned out to be a mess which i've about cleared up with the help of some really good friends. That's why some of you are waiting on winch plates still, because i need them to be error proof on the install to work with the new front skidplates. Anyway the Gen 3 front diff skids are done and i make them in batches of 10 with a new batch ready in a week or so. If you order a part from me it will get built and you will get the part, I haven't stiffed anyone yet. Just might take a few weeks, I have some friends helping me (also not getting paid) with shipping and order taking. so things are getting more streamlined and things are going quicker. So if any of you guys buy anything from me just know that it's going to a good cause and if i can make it successful it benefits all of the Mitsubishi community.

I have all the Montero parts available on my website which should be easy to find (not going to post it because i've been warned once already) More will be added as i go along.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
The stuff you make is cool, Toasty. You really have a sense of ADVENTURE and are truly DRIVEN to put the best into each and every DESIGN you make. Too bad you can't mention anything about your website, but it probably has .COM at the end of it.

John B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles