Making skid plates for my Gen 2

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
So after a bunch of years with my battered heavy gauge steel skid plates on my Gen 2 I have decide to shave weight and go to stainless steel skid plates. With the stainless being more resilient than steel I can afford to run a lighter skidplate without sacrificing the protection I need. I want a lot of maintenance free years out of these because I don't plan on replacing them any time soon. The front plate I run is very small and connects to the sway bar mounting tabs, I don't run a sway bar and these mounts are very strong. I use the front plate to push things and slide up obstacles so it needed to be hella strong. Also got a friend helping me make a full size stainless front skid plate for those days when a sway bar is needed.

20170526_120042.jpg

The second one, is just the stock plate made out of stainless and 1/8" shorter mounting flange on the back side so that when I make the new transmission skid plate it will still lay flat on the IFS crossmember like stock. For now I just added some washers so I can run this while I design the new one.

20170526_115353.jpg

You can see how it wraps around the crossmember perfectly.

20170526_115428.jpg

Turned out great. Man, wish I could sell a bunch of these to my pals... What do you guys think?

20170526_111707.jpg

Toasty

Sorry, but some other guy seems to have you covered here ---> Skid plate link

Guess i'll get back to working on more skid plates, Good luck with your build. :coffeedrink:

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Great product! Smart design. Watch out though because it looks like the guys in that link stole your picture, it even has the same stains on the cement...
(Kidding)

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Technically, the stains would be on concrete in that picture. Cement is an ingredient of concrete. But I nitpick like that.
Nice skid, Toasty. I want to rock one. How stainless is it? I mean, will a magnet stick to it? Because I like magnets.

John B.

Toasty

Thanks guys! I'll answer these questuons soon and post up a comparison pic next to a stock plate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier