making fenders help needed

Copasspupil

Observer
Has anyone made their own fenders? I trying to do a three sided fender for my trailer and am using angle iron on the inner side attached to the bed but I can't figure out how to make and attach the outer side to make it line up with the other side. Looking for help...Thanks

Copasspupil

Observer
m416:

FendersM416NOS_zps8905efe2.jpg

Hummelator

Adventurer
I built my fender frame out of 1" square tube and then took it in to a metal shop and had the steel bent to shape but if I understand correctly, maybe go to a metal shop and tell then you're making fenders and have them bend the sheet metal first and then cut the angle to match the sheet metal

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Hummelator is right... Or you have to build a rectangular top frame out of angle or tube, then add the drop leg frames, then skin them. Better, IMHO, to bend some wide strip and use that for the entire fender.

rlgrace2011

Observer
I built some similar from scratch after drawing up the angles on the side of my trailer with a marker. If you have a wire welder you can skin them with 26g flat steel. I can get it at my local Tractor Supply Co. store for about 12 bucks for a 24x24inch sheet. Then weld the edges and use a blender wheel on an angle grinder to smooth the finish.
IMG_2397.jpg

Copasspupil

Observer
Using square tubing would have been a great idea but I had a local metal shop bend flat stock for the sides. Its not completely square so I'm off on the fenders which are giving me fits

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
It is a little confusing when you say "attach the outer side to line up with the other side". Are you talking about lining up across the trailer, or having the fender even around the tire? I would take my bent fenders, similar to what was shown in your photo, add some angle iron tabs to the trailer edge, and bolt or weld through those tabs to the trailer body.

Some photos of your situation would be helpful.

Copasspupil

Observer
Outerside vs inner side of a fender was what I was saying. I use to use photobucket but now after their changes and unwillingness to pay 60/month, I'm looking for another site to host them.

19176451.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles