Making an onboard air system

Maryland 110

Adventurer
I have the apprx 3 gal eas tank from under a 95 Classic (made in Ireland). I want to make an onboard system using a 12v compressor for running air tolls and tire inflation. I have room under the passenger seat or in the engine compartment for the compressor and was going to mount the tank on the outside of the frame. Has anyone else made a similar system that they want to share ? Ideas for cheap compressors ?
Thanks

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Since I don't speak Rover very well, what is an "eas tank"? EDIT: ah, air suspension parts then?
If it is not designed to be a pressure vessel I would not use it as one. The normal pressure of an OBA system straddles the line where the DOT requires ASTM compliant tanks to be legal on the road. Truck air brake tanks are fairly inexpensive, come in a variety of sizes, and are ASTM compliant designs.

In 12VDC compressors you can have cheap, powerful, or long lived; pick any two features.
Very few 12VDC compressors will keep up with air tools. The only one that comes to mind likely to be able to do this is the Oasis product. I've not seen much on these units.
The Thomas Compressors are industrial quality, but come with an industrial price and I do not think they offer one with a high enough volume.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
If you need individual components, check out www.kilbyenterprises.com. They build OBA kits using York compressors, and sell all of the accessories separate. It's all good quality stuff, and I used a lot of it on my OBA setup.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
ujoint said:
If you need individual components, check out www.kilbyenterprises.com. They build OBA kits using York compressors, and sell all of the accessories separate. It's all good quality stuff, and I used a lot of it on my OBA setup.

I believe rockstar fab has the only kit availible for the disco.

alia176

Explorer
I'm using an EAS tank plus two sliders for my OBA. The air compressor is a York from a Volvo. This is in a Landcruiser where there is a lot of room! Mannifold pic

On my Classic, I used to use a Sanden A/C compressor as the OBA compressor. There's plenty of room on top of the 3.9 for a Sanden. I ran a belt from the oem A/C compressor to power this air compressor. Each compressor had two groove pulleys for V belt.

Both belt driven air compressor can be practically used for running tools, tire inflation, lockers, etc. If you can source couple of EAS air compressors, those should work out well. They're quieter, come with their own air dryer and running two at the same time might yield a more useable system.

LR used to use Thomas air compressors (wobble type) but I don't know who they're using now. I've seen a D90 that had a York installed, low in the engine bay but I can't recall who the owner was.

Good luck and let me know if I can help further.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
revor said:
Not!?!?! "THE BRACKET"!?!?!?!?!

:yikes: Yes, the bracket!!!

I've seen it on Brad's truck, it looks great, works great. OBA is really the only way to go if you need power.

Oxcart13

Observer
I have the EAS tank plumbed to a Viair 550. Use the tank do drive ARBs on the trail, then the compressor kicks on below 95 psi for tire inflation. As for air tools, this set-up will only drive an impact for like 20 seconds. But depending on your situation, it may be an opportune time to have a beer and ponder the next step while the tank fills up. Mark

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
MattScott said:
Any known history with that bracket?
Looks something less than rigid to me, which the Serpentine belt won't be happy about.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
MattScott said:

Yes, that's why I said COMPONENTS, I know Kilby doesn't have the brackets for a disco. They have all the little doo dads to complete an OBA system. :)

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
http://disabledexplorers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=35

This is the killer Extreme Outback setup I have and not only has it survived terrible desert heat and dust but this last week it worked in 20degF cold while covered in snow...
Of course you can but the compressor elsewhere and get even better results but this spot worked for me.

Extreme Outback also has all the bits and stuff to make the install easy and the quality is top notch.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
ntsqd said:
Any known history with that bracket?
Looks something less than rigid to me, which the Serpentine belt won't be happy about.

Not that I know of, but I have rockstar products, and know brad personally, he's not the guy that would put parts on his own vehicle, or others vehicles, that he know would break.

revor

Explorer
MattScott said:
Not that I know of, but I have rockstar products, and know brad personally, he's not the guy that would put parts on his own vehicle, or others vehicles, that he know would break.

Remember it's "THE BRACKET" infamous in it's own right. I hear that it's ridged enough for ten belts and can be used to lift the entire front of the car.

Like Matt says if Brad makes it it will be strong, intensly quirky, perhaps overly heavy and substantually overbuilt for its intended purpose. Which makes it something one never has to worry about once installed.

While I never got a chance to view THE BRACKET I have heard of it and those who have seen it spoke well of it, to the point of legend.

It is after all THE BRACKET.

You should get one Matt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles