making an Engel DC powercord?

cruisertoy

Explorer
So I picked up a 45qt Engel with the travel bag at the Outdoor Retailers show. I'm leaving on a trip to run the Zions Narrows, North Rim of GC and then off to Farmington. I leave late tuesday night or the next morning. The problem is the Engel guys didn't bring the 12v DC power cord with them. I've got to prove this things worth or the wife will make me sell it. I used a little money out of her Kitchen remodel fund. Any way to make a power cord? Anyone know what the technical name for the plug end Engel uses is?

Last edited:

mike_ie

It's pretty much that simple. One wire positive, one wire negative, fuse on the positive line if you want to be safe. If it's the older style engel plug, if you look into the DC socket with the pins oriented as shown below:

l l
_

the top right is the positive terminal.

Last edited:

cruisertoy

Explorer
Thanks Mike. Everyone I know is using thier fridge this weekend so it looks like I may be rigging my own wiring. What size wire should I run from the front of the FZJ80? If I calculate it right #14 or #12 would be ample for the 2.7 amp draw. Sound about right?

cruisertoy

Explorer
Tell me if I'm thining right on this. If I take two wires with a 10amp fuse on the + from the battery to the back of my rig and put a stardard female 110v cord end on it (even though it is 12v DC), couldn't I attach the 110v Engel powercord to that? I believe I read that the MT45 Auto senses when it it getting 12v DC and 110v AC. The only difference between the 110 cord and the 12v cord is the fuse and the cig vs. wall plug. I basically just need a 2 wire supply that plugs into the Engel, right?

Last edited:

roamingaz

Explorer
My Engel has 2 seperate plugs. 1 for 12 volt and the other for 110v. I don't think connecting 12 volt to the 110v plug is a good idea.
If you burned something up then you have a really expensive paper wieght.

I would just run a fused wire to the 12 volt side of the fridge and find a connector that will work, I know Radio Shack has all kinds of oddball electrical fittings that may work for you.
Good luck.

cruisertoy

Explorer
Tell me if I'm thining right on this. If I take two wires with a 10amp fuse on the + from the battery to the back of my rig and put a stardard female 110v cord end on it (even though it is 12v DC), couldn't I attach the 110v Engel powercord to that? I believe I read that the MT45 Auto senses when it it getting 12v DC and 110v AC. The only difference between the 110 cord and the 12v cord is the fuse and the cig vs. wall plug. I basically just need a 2 wire supply that plugs into the Engel, right?

Yeah--I hadn't loooked too close at the fridge yet and was thinking that there was just one plug outlet. I definitely don't think pluggin 12V DC into the 120v AC would be kind to the fridge. I'd have to fill it with ice and make a humming noise the whole time I was driving just to make my wife think it was working. Back to the drawing board.

cruisertoy

Explorer
If the top right is pos, is the top left or the lower pin negative?

It's pretty much that simple. One wire positive, one wire negative, fuse on the positive line if you want to be safe. If it's the older style engel plug, if you look into the DC socket with the pins oriented as shown below:

l l
_

cruisertoy

Explorer
Big thanks to Gary in Wasatch Cruisers for lending me his power cord. After adjusting the dial too high and having partly frozen milk the first day everything was great. I'm going to have to pick up one of those retainers for the hinge though. The fridge was the most successful part of the trip.

A trip report will follow and involve a dead mountain lion, only hearing english spoken a handful of times in our national park system, getting lost on a short cut accross the Res outside Page at 11 pm , having my hiking gear stolen out of the cruiser, arriving in Cortez at 2am to find every hotel room in the town booked for the Special Olympics and finally and my most favorite-- finding out about Identity theft while getting gas in Moab. All the makings of a great movie or what I like to call a normal vacation.

gabepari

Explorer
Big thanks to Gary in Wasatch Cruisers for lending me his power cord. After adjusting the dial too high and having partly frozen milk the first day everything was great. I'm going to have to pick up one of those retainers for the hinge though. The fridge was the most successful part of the trip.

A trip report will follow and involve a dead mountain lion, only hearing english spoken a handful of times in our national park system, getting lost on a short cut accross the Res outside Page at 11 pm , having my hiking gear stolen out of the cruiser, arriving in Cortez at 2am to find every hotel room in the town booked for the Special Olympics and finally and my most favorite-- finding out about Identity theft while getting gas in Moab. All the makings of a great movie or what I like to call a normal vacation.

A good portion of that sounds like a typical day in Southern Calif. :coffeedrink:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Major bummer dude!

Is Engel setting you up with a new 12V cord? If not I'm back in town and have the cord as well as plenty of the hingelocks here.

cruisertoy

Explorer
Major bummer dude!

Is Engel setting you up with a new 12V cord? If not I'm back in town and have the cord as well as plenty of the hingelocks here.

The cord should be here today or tomarrow. I'll stop by when you get settled and pick up a hingelock. Turns out the foul smelling seal on the Engel cooler I bought last year is now being recognized as a product issue and they are sending me a new one of those as well. I guess I got one of the first ones they brought in. I'll call you.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
FYI

Engle 12v cords are identical to computer monitor cords and available everywhere from radio shack to the local goodwill store in most cases.

Negative. Engel 120V (AC) cords are indeed an ST3 cord, which is very common to computers monitors, adapters and power supply's. Any thrift store should have a pile of them, if not you can find them for under $5 new at computer stores, Radio Shack, etc.

The 12C cord (DC) is in deed what seems to be a proprietary cord, several years ago a handful of us tried to find an aftermarket source for them, in the end it was just cheaper and easier to use the OE Engel cord even if your just going to canabalize it for a hard-wire setup.

Engel 12V (DC) cord pics & thread from Mud where we were discussing the cord:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-outdoor-gear/50372-plug-arb-engel-norcold.html

If someone does have a lead on a plug, I'd still be interested :D

WA8YXM

l l
_

I too will ay THanks. by the way in the diagram the top two parallel slots are cross connected... I was not sure if you showed thr plug ot socket but oce the top two are cross connected.. Don't matter.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The 120VAC plug is specified as IEC 60320 (usually just called a "320" type). The sub-designation for the appliance cord would be a C13 female connector.

The ST3 refers to the cable, specifically meaning a type of polyethylene sheathed cable that meets the IEC 60840 specification for ST3. What that exactly means I don't know, it would detail physical and electrical characteristics for the cable.

Basically the 120VAC cable is just a standard cable you'd find with computer hardware and that sort of thing. No reason to pay more than a $1 at a thrift store.

The DC cable I've never been able to find the connector Sawafuji specs, but I've only looked on and off. It appears closest to me to be a modified (not remotely compatible) IEC 320 C19/C20. There could be untold numbers of variants made in custom configurations, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles