Making a cup of coffee stormy mornings

Dozer Dan

Observer
Here in Ireland we're at the mercy of very high winds at times. The weather can change several times throughout the night and it's not uncommon to wake up to a full blown storm outside the tent. We have a JB hard shell tent so in the tent wind isn't really a problem. So it's a case of bolt out of the tent, close the tent and hop in the car.

I still need my morning joe though.

I have an awning with walls but often the winds are too high to use this. I'm trying to think of some small, really frikken sturdy shelter that will cover the rear door so I can still coil water for coffee. Every single solution I can think of still involves some flimsy fabric that will be difficult to set up in very high winds.

So other than sitting inside the car, what other solutions can be cooked up?

robert

Expedition Leader
I don't understand the question- just make it in the tent or car like a normal person. Climbers and backpackers have been using stoves in tents for decades without killing themselves, it's not hard, just provide a little ventilation and don't run the thing for hours where it can build up carbon monoxide.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Every single solution I can think of still involves some flimsy fabric that will be difficult to set up in very high winds.

Yea...well, that's the nature of the beast isn't it? Either flimsy and a PITA to setup, or sturdy and a PITA to setup. The alternatives to fabric are what? Plywood, fiberglass, plastic, or sheet metal.

jeepgc

Adventurer
How about digging a hole just deep enough to shelter out of the wind and protect the flame?

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Dozer Dan

Observer
When you go away for a couple of days you don't really want to be holed up in your tent. I've a hard shell rtt so it's a pretty small space. The car doesn't have much room left in it either with all the gear so also not a nice place to spend the weekend.
Because it's "normal" doesn't mean it's any good or can't be improved on.
Spending an hour digging a hole in the howling wind sounds awesome, I'd love to do that but it kinda goes against the Leave no trace policy so I will have to give that a miss.
How about some foldable hard structure though?

09Busaman

Coleman makes a propane 10 cup coffee maker. Looks pretty intersting and you dont need an external heat source.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I've made many hot meals (reconstituted freeze dried swill) inside a Bibler I-tent during raging mountain storms. You practice and get your technique down before trying it in a storm. A jet-boil would probably be the easiest to use, but their are a lot of other options out there.

Buying or making a rigid shelter to compliment your rtt is adding a lot of weight, is unwieldy, takes up a lot of space, and needs to be well anchored in wind. You already have the vehicle and there are a lot of coffee makers on the market: 12V, propane, and 120V with inverter you could use inside the vehicle or tent.

IMO if the rtt is not meeting your needs you should think about a different shelter.

jeepgc

Adventurer
When you go away for a couple of days you don't really want to be holed up in your tent. I've a hard shell rtt so it's a pretty small space. The car doesn't have much room left in it either with all the gear so also not a nice place to spend the weekend.
Because it's "normal" doesn't mean it's any good or can't be improved on.
Spending an hour digging a hole in the howling wind sounds awesome, I'd love to do that but it kinda goes against the Leave no trace policy so I will have to give that a miss.
How about some foldable hard structure though?
Sorry, misread your original post , thought you were after something to protect your portable stove, not an additional shelter.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

alia176

Explorer
Ok, I can't believe I'm suggesting this but the OP's desperate plea for help warrants an appropriate response. :rolleyes:

A friend of busted out his Makita drill battery powered coffee percolator on our last camping trip :eek: After thinking "Millennials" (in my head) and how dare he trivialize the morning coffee ritual by this, THIS Chinese gizmo thing. I went to myself, "self, that ain't a half bad idea". Some people are just barely coherent enough in the morning to just push a freaking button and wait for the coffee to be made. He doesn't need to grind the beans, boil a pot of water, push the grind through a pump, make a mess in order to enjoy a fresh cup of java. I get it.

Just heard from him, here's what he has: https://www.ebay.com/itm/113598303910?ul_noapp=true
Smaller version https://www.ebay.com/itm/113720271661?ul_noapp=true

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles