Making a class C with a Hard side truck camper

Safari997

Hello,
I would like to know if you ever open the cab of a us pick up and make a pass thru.
I already look tiger provan, earthroamer and other but it's to much expensive.
Do you know a compagny who do it?
XP?
You did it?
I would travel in a 4x4 diesel 3/4 ton us pick up.
Propan free! So only diesel and solar panel.
It's for a one year trip from Montreal-Alaska-Ushuaia and back.
Any suggestion?
Thank folks!
Sebastien

Safari997

What about a Sunrader on an american pick up?
I realy want to have diesel engine for all the webasto (water heater, heater and for cooking)

deminimis

Explorer
Both Ram and Ford have simple instructions for builders clearly detailing how to cut the access area. You might think long and hard on whether you want to do it. First, although the cuts are designed so as to not compromise the integrity of the cab, common sense dictates that removing metal from the cab will weaken the structure to some degree. I can tell you from first-hand experience the cab on the Ford F-550 was weakened as a result (roof rigidity). So, you may wish to ask yourself, "How important is it to have access to the coach while driving down the road"? I've had two camper vans and a large RV. Frankly, there were very few times when we (passenger) needed to go back to the coach to retrieve a drink, Hot Pocket, or whatever. Frankly, if we need something out of the back, it's time to stop for a break anyway. Besides the loss of structural integrity (if any), selling the truck down the road might prove near impossible (you don't know what the future holds and your super awesome custom build may not be the cup of tea for someone else). It's a hell of a risk to take. Finally, it's damn hard to keep the heat in the coach/camper and not have it escape out the truck (or the inverse if heat is a concern). Trucks are poorly insulated and you can only improve on that so much. A curtain, or whatever, could cut down on the heat loss (or heat gain) between the camper and cab, but not as well as having the camper and cab separate. Then there's the whole issue of frame flex and all that business. Anyway, some things to perhaps think about. These are my humble opinions based on my observations with two camper vans, two truck/camper combos and a RV based on a F-550 chassis. Others are sure to disagree. I wish to build my own camper in the future. It will be a hybrid between a camper and a Super C, however, the camper will be separate from the truck cab. That is, if I ever can find the time and $ to actually do it (probably not, but it's a hope anyway).

Safari997

I won't do it! I don't have the skills and the known to do it.
I were looking for a manufacturer to do it but no one does.
We lived for 6 months in a safari-condo, a B class and what we need for the future is a 4x4.
B does not have to much choice.
Sportsmobile have short bed!
I am 6,3!
But safari condo do a queen size permanents, shower on 4x4 sprinter.
We will travel for one year, so to get from the cab to living space is a must for us.
But all those 4x4 are $$$$.

So thanks for your comments

John E Davies

Adventurer
Hello,
I would travel in a 4x4 diesel 3/4 ton us pick up.
Propan free! So only diesel and solar panel.
It's for a one year trip from Montreal-Alaska-Ushuaia
Hi Sebastien,

Your frustration is shared by many of us. There are no manufacturers here who make _affordable_ campers with diesel fired appliances! It is unheard of here.

An XP Version 1 mounted on a used 4x4 4500 class truck would be my choice. A 3/4 ton (2500) pickup does not have enough load capacity for an XP, which weighs 2400 pounds without options. They are very expensive but the build quality is second to none! The engineering is stellar. The big one is designed for year long trips away from propane suppliers and dump stations.

I would research rv loans and see if you could afford the monthly payment on an XP for a long term loan with a minimal down payment, then sell the rig after a year with little loss in value. RV loans are affordable here, as is RV insurance. The truck would have to be insured separately and you may not be able to finance the cost of the ute tray in the RV loan since it is considered a truck accessory.

You also need to be looking for a cassette toilet system. Again, this is very rare here. Some pickup campers come with a cassette toilet, I do not know of any that I would care to live in for a year due to inadequate storage, except for the XP. Any other brand would probably have you shopping for a trailer to tow all your supplies and spares. The Northern Lite truck campers are very nice and can be ordered with a cassette, but no diesel.

If you are willing to give up on diesel appliances and consider trailers, you might want to consider an Oliver, with their 320 watt solar package, four batteries and larger propane tank option. They are very cool and I could live in one of the larger ones long term..... Plus they are very easy to tow so you do not need a huge truck.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/151791-Oliver-Factory-Tour-Photos

Good luck.

EDIT: Oops, I just Googled Ushuaia and found out that it is in Tierra del Fuego. You do not want to haul any trailer there! An XP would be a fine choice, this couple recently did this trip in one. ...

Uruguay_26_LasCanasXPCamperFinalCampSpot.jpg

http://songoftheroad.com

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:

boxcar1

boxcar1
Diesel stoves and heating systems are the norm for marine applications. Dickenson makes a wonderful diesel range . $1700 and Webasto Has a great Diesel furnace for $900.
I'd start my search there . Buy the appliances , then convert a standard camper. It would actually be a fairly simple conversion.
You will need lot's of ventilation.......

Safari997

Thanks for your answer!
You understand what i'm looking for.
We already did 6 months South West and Baja in 2013.
We ad a Safari Condo LC.
On a Savana 3500. With cassette toilets.
I don't understand the minding to put propan every where.

Probably i'l go with a 3500 savana HD again.
With lock diferential in the rear
More clearance of the ground
Duramax and allison.
Casset toilet.
And PROPAN FREE!
Safari condo make it.
So probably no big work on a hard side to make changes for my needs.
People who travel sourh america did cery weel with high clearance and a good lock transmission (sorry, i am a french from Montreal, so my english is.... Functionnal!)
See my blog to know what is Safari Condo
www.safari997.blogspot.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94