Main Line Overland JK Build Thread

Ali Sleiman

I ran the wiring loom under the carpet in installed the socket behind the rear seat belt plastic roll bar casing. Clean finish.

FastGlass

Adventurer
Weird...
Had another member, Haficon, suggest I get in touch w you regarding mounting a specific RTT to the Gobi. After clicking his link he provided, I took one look at your Jeep and realized it's actually one of the 3 I'm basing my own build on! I saw this pic a year or so back and saved it to my comp! :)
Anyhow, you may or may not have seen the thread, but I'm hoping to get a medium Baroud evasion evolution hard shell RTT onto a Gobi stealth rack....any thoughts?
image.jpg

BenHedrick

Adventurer
Weird...
Had another member, Haficon, suggest I get in touch w you regarding mounting a specific RTT to the Gobi. After clicking his link he provided, I took one look at your Jeep and realized it's actually one of the 3 I'm basing my own build on! I saw this pic a year or so back and saved it to my comp! :)
Anyhow, you may or may not have seen the thread, but I'm hoping to get a medium Baroud evasion evolution hard shell RTT onto a Gobi stealth rack....any thoughts?
View attachment 254969

If it helps, I'm running the Gobi Rack with a RTT. It mounts very easily. All you need are the cross bars going across the Gobi. The RTT's aluminum rails simply will mount like a clamp around the crossbars of the Gobi. The RTT can be mounted to open to the side or the back, like mine does.

img_1030-2.jpg

page23-1034-full.jpg

Hope that helps, Ben

FastGlass

Adventurer
If it helps, I'm running the Gobi Rack with a RTT. It mounts very easily. All you need are the cross bars going across the Gobi. The RTT's aluminum rails simply will mount like a clamp around the crossbars of the Gobi. The RTT can be mounted to open to the side or the back, like mine does.

img_1030-2.jpg

page23-1034-full.jpg

Hope that helps, Ben

....Aaaaand there's the second of three builds I can't stop thinking about! Ben, did you ever get my message on your "about me" section page? If I could mash your Xpo, this Maine Line and the transcontinental build from '09:
image.jpg
..why, I could die a happy Jeeper! :)
As far as the tent...and I don't want to monopolize this guys AWSOME build page here, but as far as the RTT goes, these "soft sided" flip outs seem to mount no problems to the Gobis'...the problem for me is that apparently, the hard sided Airtops and Barouds (and similar) can only use the one rail that goes across the gobi up high...it really needs 3 rails to secure/support, and so I was looking for a workaround. I like the gobi...vs front runner, LoD etc...
I was figuring SOMEONE had done this by now?

FastGlass

Adventurer
Sorry...it's under the "Visitor Messages" tab, not "about me". Still, that Xpo is sick. Any regrets on the 4.5" AEV AND 35" combo? Would you have done anything different having it for awhile now? I saw after your trip out west, you removed the RTT? Too heavy? Or fuel economy related?
I like your Brutes too, but that Xpo build was the catalyst for me finally pulling the trigger on a new JKUR...

EDIT: I just saw you did respond there...my bad. :)

Last edited:

BenHedrick

Adventurer
Sorry...it's under the "Visitor Messages" tab, not "about me". Still, that Xpo is sick. Any regrets on the 4.5" AEV AND 35" combo? Would you have done anything different having it for awhile now? I saw after your trip out west, you removed the RTT? Too heavy? Or fuel economy related?
I like your Brutes too, but that Xpo build was the catalyst for me finally pulling the trigger on a new JKUR...

EDIT: I just saw you did respond there...my bad. :)

Cool. And not to highjack Main Line's thread, but yes, I am VERY happy with my AEV 4.5" (none better) and 35's. I run KM2's (MT's) and KO (AT's). And yes, I removed the RTT and sold it. With the V6 it struggled on the highway at highway speeds plus, I found that the opening and closing the RTT twice a day to go wheeling just got old. I am building an Expedition Overland offroad trailer now so I'll have more of a base camp to come back to each day. Good luck with your build!

Ben

Last edited:

Main Line Overland

Supporting Sponsor
Weird...
View attachment 254969

The Gobi has two cross bars, and you can actually get additional adjustable crossbars as options as well. The Gobi is the best no-drill rack option on the market.

Like Ben said, running the tent on the roof does come with limitations, but on long hauls it just becomes part of the routine. We now run an Eezi-Awn Series 1800 tent on our matching AT Overland Equipment Chaser trailer, which makes for a great base camp setup and leave it option.

photo_zpsfb252106.jpg

Hard-shell tents come with their own limitations, sleeping room is limited to the footprint, weight, etc. If I was considering a hard-shell, I would go a different route and get a Habitat: http://adventuretrailers.com/campers/habitat/

Last edited:

FastGlass

Adventurer
The Gobi has two cross bars, and you can actually get additional adjustable crossbars as options as well. The Gobi is the best no-drill rack option on the market.

Like Ben said, running the tent on the roof does come with limitations, but on long hauls it just becomes part of the routine. We now run an Eezi-Awn Series 1800 tent on our matching AT Overland Equipment Chaser trailer, which makes for a great base camp setup and leave it option.

Hard-shell tents come with their own limitations, sleeping room is limited to the footprint, weight, etc. If I was considering a hard-shell, I would go a different route and get a Habitat: http://adventuretrailers.com/campers/habitat/
Thanks! I'll check out that Habitat model too...I'm not set on which RTT, Just do like the ability to have it there for my trips, no additionally required. So, the second cross bar is apparently across the inside bottom of the rack, not up high across like the "middle" one? So I'm being told sight unseen. I'd need two of these addl adjustable cross members, but that's fine...I'm thinking this will definitely work now.
Thanks...both of you, and again, sorry to get this resolved here on your thread, but that's where the answers came in! I literally just created a thread for that question this morning!

Main Line Overland

Supporting Sponsor
There are two cross bars that sit flush with the top rack perimeter rail, hard to see in photos. So only one additional cross bar would be needed. Give us a shout if you are looking to place a rack order soon.

Last edited:

FastGlass

Adventurer
There are two cross bars that sit flush with the top rack perimeter rail, hard to see in photos. So only on additional cross bar would be needed. Give us a shout if you are looking to place a rack order soon.

I have a PO set up to go with another company. Was figuring this stuff out before the Jeep even dropped for months, but wasn't aware that your company was a supporter here, or was so local to me (supporting local businesses is important to me.)
That being said, I'm going to check out your store and see what isn't already ordered that I'm looking for and will definitely work with you guys as well.
Thanks so much....I really love your rig there!

nexus

Love the build. Spent the entire morning at work reading the complete thread. Having been to Huntingdon when my son attended Juniata; I am envious of the fall and winter time wheelin' that can be done in the area. Looking forward to hearing about your next adventures.

nicodebarmore

Transfer Case for Overland

Hey not to hijack your thread...but how do you like the Rubi T-case for overland applications? It seems like that ratio would be really well suited to rockcrawling but perhaps not as much to other types of trails. I'm weighing pros and cons of a Rubi vs Sport build, and I'll be doing overland, not extreme rock crawling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior