Maggiolina vs Columbus Variant

cstamm81

Adventurer
So I think I've narrowed down my RTT choices. It will be going on my 94 TLC. I've decided against any of the "soft" varieties (Eezi awn, Overland) etc. I don't like the added set up and take down time of these, or the fact that they seem about as aerodynamic as a brick. I do like the fact that they are bigger inside though.

That said, what are the opinions on the Maggs vs the Columbus? Any users have direct experience with both? It seems like the Columbus has less moving parts and would be more aerodynamic. It seems like the Maggs are more proven. Also, I need to decide on a size for my 80 series. It will definitely be medium or large, not sure if the large will look too big and hang out over the roof.
I've read a ton about RTT's, but just wanted to get a direct comparison if I could.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
If it were me I'd go for the Maggiolina, the Columbus is too restricting due to the way it opens.

Brian at Totally-Offroad.com has them in stock if your looking for a place to purchase them.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I had the same questions when deciding between the 2 models. Either is a good choice. I was thinking the Columbus might be better in high winds due to its shape and be even easier to set up than the Magg. I ended up with the Magg because of it's interior dimensions- I can sit up anywhere in the tent not just on the "high" side like the Columbus. The Magg holds up great in the wind (no flapping or weird whistles) and takes maybe 45 seconds longer than the Columbus to setup.

FWIW- I can't express how great it is for my wife and I when we pull up to camp late at night after driving all day and within 5 minutes we're snuggling in a comfy bed. In the morning, I'm packed and ready to go before she's finished making coffee. It's totally changed our camping. I gave our very nice, very large ground tent to a friend this week. It took me 20 minutes to set it up in his backyard under perfect conditions. I can't believe we used to drag that thing around!

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Just for comparison:

Here are some previous arrangements...

Wife, me and the dog in "The Condo":
120160670-M.jpg

Wife and me in the truck bed, dog in the little tent:
197001385-M.jpg

Finally, wife and me in the Magg, dog in the truckbed:
199502633-M.jpg

Note our blankets and pillows in the Magg. We just leave everything in there... lower the top, move to the next campsite, raise the top and it's ready to go:
205908624-M.jpg

I can literally tear down and pack up this whole campsite in the time it took me to install the tent poles in the big tent.

cstamm81

Adventurer
sweet set up HMR, and thanks for both of you for the suggestions. Are the Maggs as aerodynamic as the Columbus? I guess being able to sit up in the whole tent is nice. I like the idea of three doors though, especially the one on the back. It might make it easier to step up on my tailgate to load the dog up there. Hmm, more overall head room or one end higher than the other? Also, isn't the inside length of the Maggs shorter than the Columbus due to the scissors type lift?

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Checkout Viatiarra's pics to see how aerodynamic the newer Magg's are (I have an older/less sleek version). FWIW- I didn't like how high the tent sat with the Yakimas, so I built my own mounts.

Before:
205908592-M.jpg

After:
209942381-M.jpg

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. I agree with your thinking regarding the 3 doors. Could be a better option depending on your needs. Also, the Columbus gives you much more headroom on the "high side". If you're tall that would be the way to go.

BTW- The scissors on the Magg take up 2-3 inches on each end of the tent.

Last edited:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I have both the Columbus CF medium and Maggilina Small, and have used both in extreme and long term situations. They both have advantages and disadvantages. You can leave your bedding in both, and include the ladder too. They also both come with mattress, mattress cover, and pillows.

In how I travel, and If I had to pick one, it would still be the Maggiolina.

Mike S from Autohome.us is a pleasure to work with.

Maggiolina -Pros - super comfy mattress - breathable fabric - easier to stay warm in colder climates - crank up and crank down (easy for anyone) - stands up to severe winds (30-40 mph)

Maggiolina - Cons - A bit dark - not too much head room - fabric requires yearly cleaning and waterproofing - beeding can get wet when you close the tent after a heavy rain - no awning - door bottoms a bit odd to keep sealed.

Columbus - Pros - three second set up and close down - large head room - can open windows for a sky view - material very waterproof - ceiling web for storage - really easy to open -

Columbus - Cons - Mattress a bit less comfy - fabric not breathable - side windows have plastic to cover the zippers ( sharp edges) rubber bands to wrap up side windows when open - somewhat noisy in the wind - a bit tough to close and latch (no handles on the back outside to grip)

::::

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I have the Maggiolina GT Medium...traded up from the Overland Large last summer. At times when the misses is along I miss the extra room of the king size Overland (it had plenty of room to store duffle bags, etc.)...but since she goes with me maybe 10% of the time it's not that big o'deal. In a perfect world I would like the extra width and length of the Large GT...but it really wouldn't fit all that well atop my Horizon: Trade offs!

The Magg sleeps quiet and warm. Some that use it in hot humid climes have added at least 1 12V fan to keep the air moving.

Not having used a Columbus there are two things that are attractive about it: Available in Carbonfiber and theoretically could be more reliable due to the absence of a lift mechanism (and even quicker set-up)...

How tall are you? If you are about 5'10" or so or shorter you will be happy with either one. Much taller and you might want to think about the GT Large.

cstamm81

Adventurer
I'm just about 6 foot tall. I was a little concerned that the lift mechanisms take up 2-3 inches on each end, that's fairly significant. So the fabric on the Columbus is not breathable, or just not as breathable? That's huge if it isn't. And the Columbus flaps more in the wind, also a downside.
But the Maggs bedding can get wet after a heavy rain and closing the tent? I do like the idea of more light being let in if you want with the Comlumbus. Wow, this is a hard decision, two very high quality products the way it seems.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
With the Columbus I have found you will need to open part of the windows ( any two) to get air moving, this helps otherwise it will condensate inside.
Maggiolina does not have this issue.

If you are in a heavy rain - the sides of the Maggiolina will have water on them ( you shake off what you can) when you close the tent the sides have to lay on the edges of your bedding. It is typical of most tents.

I am 6'1" and can fit in the Maggiolina Small - my feet can hang a couple inches over the lift track if they need to, but I usually can fit well inside with my GF.

I think the small fits nicely on top of the 80 - the Medium fits right to the outside of the rain gutters - The medium just looks a bit big for the top of an 80 (to me.)

All and all with the various tents I have slept in or looked at, I find the Maggiolina more of a slick touring tent. A tent that you can keep all your bedding in, sleep in total comfort, and set up/close up in less than a minute.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
cstamm81 said:
I'm just about 6 foot tall. I was a little concerned that the lift mechanisms take up 2-3 inches on each end, that's fairly significant. So the fabric on the Columbus is not breathable, or just not as breathable? That's huge if it isn't. And the Columbus flaps more in the wind, also a downside.
But the Maggs bedding can get wet after a heavy rain and closing the tent? I do like the idea of more light being let in if you want with the Comlumbus. Wow, this is a hard decision, two very high quality products the way it seems.

If you can I'd try to lay in both to see if: The Small or Medium MG will be long enough. If you're solo then not a big deal because you can lay diagonally...not so good if your doubled up...if my other half went all the time I probably would have figured out a way to get the MG Large mounted atop my Horizon. Another vote for Overland to offer the length of the Large Magg with the width of the Medium. I know Mike has voiced this to the factory in Italy...but who knows "if and when".

The Columbus is effectively longer because it doesn't have the lift mechanism on each end ala Maggiolina. However the walls slope in...so you can't really use the entire inside length unless you don't mind having the fabric walls pushing on your head and feet.

I haven't experienced the moisture issue to date. However it's pretty dry here in Nevada ;-) I plan to attach a compact, easy/quick to install awning for each door to, in the event I need to get into and/or exit in the rain, be more protected.

Edit: Just read DD's comment about wet walls....maybe carry a lightweight waterproof coated nylon cover cut to the inside dimensions of the Magg to better keep the mattress dry when forced to camp in rainy climes.

I don't know where you reside but I'm in Reno if you want to take a look at my Magg GT Med just let me know. I'll be in DV at the end of the month.

Last edited:

cstamm81

Adventurer
thanks for the offer of checking yours out. I'm however on the east coast, PA. Not too many guys have these things out my way from what i gather. I did see that autohome has a few tents in NJ, so that might help me with shipping costs. I have to imagine these cost a pile to ship.

AndrewP

Explorer
Desertdude said:
I am 6'1" - .

Damn, dude, what have you been eating? Last time I saw you in November, you were not a mm over 5'10"

Desertdude said:
and can fit in the Maggiolina Small

Oh, OK, this makes more sense!

Having seen the Maggiolina's in action on DD's truck, it's the set-up to have. If I had a reliable camping partner like the Dude, I'd have one too, but I really am 6'1" and don't want the grande or whatever the really big one is called.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
cstamm81 said:
I was a little concerned that the lift mechanisms take up 2-3 inches on each end, that's fairly significant.
To help you visualize, I took a pic of the scissor-lift area:
233165740-L.jpg

We slept in the Magg last night. I was thinking about that area and noticed that a thick blanket turns it into "useable" space. I wouldn't be concerned about the loss of length due to the scissor-lift. Just my $.02

Another thing to point out: With the windows/doors closed, these tents are dark inside. When I camp in a traditional tent, I'm always awake at sunrise. Last night, we crawled into bed at 8pm, read 'til 9pm and slept like rocks until 8am (1.5hrs after sunrise). No complaints about that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94