Maggiolina Extreme - Project

rperks

SoCal Maggiolina Extreme - Project - Price Cut

I bought this tent years ago and toured up and down the California coast shocking guys on jeep trails with this thing on top of my Golf TDI
4256675761_104b19203b_m.jpg

I took a job in LA, 65 miles from home, about a year ago and put the tent on blocks to cut down on fuel costs. Managed to make a baby with the wife 6 months ago, and now am looking at everything from Ecampers to Sprinters to try and figure out how to move into the next phase of life.

So here is the tent in all of its caged glory:
4396088756_f60e556457.jpg

and you can see the rest of the photo set here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36302507@N08/sets/72157623528116558/

The tent has been modified, used, but loved, and works, but needs some more love to be better than new.

My first mod was to intall the aluminum box tube as a washer inside under the front rack.
4396117814_a371875c55.jpg

From the factory it came with a bolt through the fiberglass/masonite sandwhich backed by a washer about the size of a nickle. We have all seen the pictures of these rigs in the jungle wiht kayaks on the roof, but I felt better going down the highway with my boards up there knowing that I had a bigger washer in there.

The rope cross bracing is a stop gap measure for this thing getting too wiggly on the opening. It works well and gives great support in the front back plane as well as the side to side you get from the scissor lifts. after a few trips this way I looked into the mounting points and discovered this:
4395347509_d682381962.jpg

The plan was to remove the existing mounting points, screw in a piece of angle, and mount the scissor lift to the new angle. Making it stronger than new in the repair.

The tent material is in decent shape. There is a layer of road grime on the leading edge. Aslo, from years of vibration, there are small holes worn through at the fabric mounting clips. All screens and windows are fully intact.

The Gel Coat is in fair shape, a few hairline cracks, and grime mostly from the garage.

I have used it in the rain, in temps down to 25 with howling wind, and many beautiful days. These things rock, for solo or couples. This is a great chance to get one of these for far less than new while not being afraid to put the first scratch on it

I am out of time and would rather have the funds to start the bank for the new and improved rig. I would really prefer pickup in Ventura, but could work something out between there and west LA (work). We also make semi regular trips up to Atascadero to visit family, but it will be a litle over a month until we are up there again.

So the part you have all been waiting for $1000 with lift and top racks as shown in the pics. I have the Harken lift kit to pull the tent off your roof and store in your garage as well, will ad pics by tonight.

If it languishes I may entertain reasonable offers.

Thank you for your interest.

Off list email, robperks at yahoo dot com

Last edited:

rperks

Saturday morning bump, and I can sweeten the pot with some homebrew gear: glass carbouys bottles and other odds and ends that would help expand your existing set up.

Rob

rperks

Harken Hoister

Ok here are the promised pics of the Harken hoister,

4411544988_aa7eb390b8_b.jpg

And the rest are at the end of the Flickr set here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36302507@N08/sets/72157623528116558/

It is all set up and ready to go as shown in the Harken instructions:
http://www.hoister.com/assets/4907.pdf

I mounted the 2x6 blocks running front to back as opposed to side to side in the garage at my old place. The trusses in the garage were exposed, and running crossways to the garage. I mounted the 2x6 to the trusses with multiple u bolts, this was awesome and super easy to get the tent off and on by myself.

Still hoping for $1000 for the package, but willing to lesten to reasonable offers.

Thanks for looking

Jim1960

Observer
I'm not quite clear on this picture. Was this the result of normal wear and tear? Or was it opened in a heavy wind storm?
4395347509_d682381962.jpg

rperks

the most I ever had up top was the racks and 4 surfboards. I think it may have happened, or initiated, with that load and then progressed during normal use. The factoy plate is slightly off center of the jack mounting plate, and I do not know what type of backing there is other than the hollow glass mat structure of the tent. That is why i say "Initiated". Opening on not perfectly level ground also stresses the individual mounting points eccenticly until the surrounding tent cloth is taut. then it is protected i shear on all 4 sides.

I tend to over engineer things, or things I have bought

rperks

Price Cut

I have been getting interest, but nobody wants the whole package, and the there has been no closure on any of the offers

So ....Reduced Pricing Structure:
Tent and Thule Racks - $750
Hoister - $50

Thnaks for looking

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I have been getting interest, but nobody wants the whole package, and the there has been no closure on any of the offers

So ....Reduced Pricing Structure:
Tent and Thule Racks - $750
Hoister - $50

Thnaks for looking

At that price, I will buy it and drive down to pick it up! Please call me at 888-852-2359

Mike

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles