Magellen explorist 400

bovw

Explorer
Does anyone use one of these? Not much info on the the search I did, but I'm looking at one with 2005 maps for $75. This would be a starter GPS for me, with mixed off and on road use. Any help would be appreciated.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
A friend of mine has this model and he is pretty happy with it. The only caveat-- it sometimes will just turn itself off for no reason at all. It is completetly random nad the timer function is turned OFF. We can't figure out if it's just a glitch with this particular one, or a model specific problem. Otherwsie it's a pretty good basic units with a few bells and whistles. :rappel:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I have the 600. They are small and lightweight, great for hiking and backpacking. The batteries last pretty well. The windshield mount that Magellen sells for my 600 is not the best, but it is okay. My complaints revolve around uploading data from the MapSend software and bringing tracks back into the computer. It's not all that user friendly. I wanted to be able to use my tracks and waypoints in Google Earth and it is possible, but I had to learn how to use GPD Babel. The refresh rate sometimes cannot keep up at highway speed. Bottom line, I like mine and will keep it, but eventually I'll get something else for driving.

bovw

Explorer
Cool, thanks guys. I plan to use this for now, and get something bigger and better later on. I'm really digging the Magellen Crossover after I get some practice/experience with the 400.

computeruser

Explorer
Great hiking/geocaching units, but the screens are not great for driving. That said, for $75...hell, I'd probably buy it.

I have the no-uploading 200, and it has been fine for navigation to known coordinates. It has taken a beating, logged many miles mounted to my bicycle handlebars, and keeps on going. The increased functionality of newer units (handheld or otherwise) is nice, but these are a good place to start, especially if you still like to double-check your position on paper maps.

bovw

Explorer
Ok, finally got it. I have Mapsend software for direct route, the installation cd anyway. Anyone know where I can get the data cd alone, and maybe the topo software aomeones no longer using?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles