Magellan Roadmate 1700?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Has anyone tried the Magellan Roadmate 1700? I know it has a spot for a mini SD card, but not sure if it will display Topo maps, does or has anyone tried it? I like the 7" screen, which Garmin seems very reluctant to build, they act like 5" is all that you will/should need. I would like a bigger screen and Magellan definitely has it.

I have never had a Magellan, always used Garmin's. I know that the Crossover's had "lock up" problems, but does anyone have experience with the Roadmate 1700?

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I guess no one is using the Magellan? Bummer, I didn't want to be the first and not sure I want to.

Jack

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I HAD a Magellan Crossover. It was the biggest POS GPS I have ever used. Their customer service bites even more. Go Garmin and you won't be sorry.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
That is what I have been finding.

Too bad Garmin won't make the Montana with a 7" screen. That would be the cats meow. For some reason they say everyone is moving to a smart phone for their gps devices (handheld), but they don't want to embrace the vehicle gps market more than the Nuvi series. I have tried several gps apps on my iphone and they all are terrible for real world use. I guess I will be updating my Nuvi to a larger/newer version. I really like the fact that I can leave the pavement, switch map sources and have a topo gps, then when I get back to the pavement, switch back to the road map and it functions like a Nuvi. I just wish Garmin would make a larger screen version of the Montana and stop worrying about making it handheld size.

Jack

jimmydee

I own the magellan roadmate 1700. It works well my only problem is I have had more for a little over a year and there is a new updated map for 2011 it cost $79.00 to update to this map and to me that sucks. I payed $180.00 for this GPS and now it costs me another $80.00 bucks for newer map. I could buy a Tom Tom for less then this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles