Magellan eXplorist TRX7 - Anyone have experience with it yet?

I have the explorist I bought the 299 version. So far for what it is it works way better than I could my Lenovo tablet to do. I could never get the detail I wanted from the tablet always stopped giving good detail between zoom 9 and 11. Now the Magellan has a couple of flaws I don’t like. The first being the map back ground color and topo lines don’t have enough contrast . I was out in the desert and the screen was not right enough even inside the jeep with top up! Once I got into shady forest area it was great Plenty of detail nice looking. One review I read dissed on battery life but I had no issues there .

The other thing I like the maps they are just all there everywhere. No more trying to load 300,000 tiles to get to zooom level 15. ,!

Mechanically I could not find a way to make the screen brighter I am thinking of building a small shade hood

Not perfect but not bad

Raul B

Explorer
I have the explorist I bought the 299 version. So far for what it is it works way better than I could my Lenovo tablet to do. I could never get the detail I wanted from the tablet always stopped giving good detail between zoom 9 and 11. Now the Magellan has a couple of flaws I don’t like. The first being the map back ground color and topo lines don’t have enough contrast . I was out in the desert and the screen was not right enough even inside the jeep with top up! Once I got into shady forest area it was great Plenty of detail nice looking. One review I read dissed on battery life but I had no issues there .

The other thing I like the maps they are just all there everywhere. No more trying to load 300,000 tiles to get to zooom level 15. ,!

Mechanically I could not find a way to make the screen brighter I am thinking of building a small shade hood

Not perfect but not bad
They make a shade hood for them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Raul B

Explorer
Did not know that. Is it on their site
6d9f29bbcff5970f2a74833b1992bb35.jpg

Raul B

Explorer
Awesome thanks
Np. Not sure how well it works but I may grab one for this weekends trip. I have had the trx since they first came out. They sent me one to try out and review. It has come a long way since then but still has some issues that really bug me.

Raul B

Explorer
What are those issues?
I find the online software very difficult to use. Alot of times I find it easier to make my trails on a diff software and upload the gpx file. Wish 3rd party software was aloud to be downloaded. For example. I have to have a seperate unit with my delorm in reach connected so I can (or my driver can) communicate while out of cell service. If I could download the software to the trx it would be one less thing I have to bring. The battery life is also isn't great but I have mind plugged in all the time when in use.

I love that I don't have to download maps. That is the biggest thing it has going for it.

Granted I have the original so the newer versions could be faster and have better battery life.

That’s exactly why I got it so I didn’t have to down load maps. I spent so much time trying varying programs. to find out you could not. Down load high zoom levels over large areas. Think bcn at zoom 15 to cover the eastern ca area is like 300,000 tiles. So I did that waited it looked good bu then would zoom past 11. So no real detail but the maps look really good on the screen. I am a geologist so maps especially decent topo maps. Are important for my work as well as my fun

Raul B

Explorer
That’s exactly why I got it so I didn’t have to down load maps. I spent so much time trying varying programs. to find out you could not. Down load high zoom levels over large areas. Think bcn at zoom 15 to cover the eastern ca area is like 300,000 tiles. So I did that waited it looked good bu then would zoom past 11. So no real detail but the maps look really good on the screen. I am a geologist so maps especially decent topo maps. Are important for my work as well as my fun
Yup I have pretty much tried every app available and not being able to download everything is annoying. If any software would just let me doenlong like all of CA at high res I would pay $$$ for it. I Dont Care if it's 100gigs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94