M422A1 Mighty Mite diesel build

mspeters

4+ years of saturdays to turn a M422A1 no-engine parts rig into a viable desert explorer.
It has a aluminum body, independent suspension. Drivetrain is. VW 1.9 AAZ turbo diesel with modern AX15 5 speed, 5:33 gears with dana 27 powerloks, 3:1 transfer case, power steering with Toyota truck box, inboard disc brakes. These originally had a air cooled V-4 and were made by AMC for the Marines.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

njtacoma

Explorer
That is super cool.

I always like them, the first side by side.

Looks like really amazing work on your part

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Just great build-up! I like the way you think; outside the box. Even with the VW diesel that rig should be very lightweight. All her larger cousins were cut for scrap as they spent a lot of time on their sides or tops.
regards, as always, jefe

nickw

Adventurer
Wow - impressive. What a perfect little rig to get out and explore the desert with. Do you have a build thread or more pics? What can you tell me about the f/r diffs?

I can see why the Marines didn't stick with it....can't put a Marine in a cute little thing like that!

Gator

Adventurer
Wow! That is awesome! Just saw one of these in worn out condition at the Turkey Rod Run. Glad I did not see this thread 1st. Mama would not be happy with me lol
Lator....

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Awesome vehicle! VW diesels are the ultimate engine for a reliable and fuel efficient expedition vehicle.

mspeters

Here are a couple pictues during the build up. The stock dana 27s were custom made for the mighty mite with aluminum housings, powerloks and inboard brakes. Much eyeball engineering to repack a larger driveline, radiator, power brakes & steering. More adjustments are need before a 1st camp trip: more air holes for the radiator and new springs as it's sitting 2" too low.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

mspeters

Did you have it at the Lodi event in April?

Quickfarms,
Yes, it was there for Friday and took a honorary picture with the authentic M422A1 Mites at the show. Glad I had a top with the rain showers. Next year my restored one will be there. The resto-mod build delayed the body restoration by 4 years.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 30

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles