M416 Trailer Flat or Curved Leaf Springs?

bluebruin

Adventurer
For all you M416 owners out there, how much curve in your leaf springs do you have (before and after adding lid)?

I never really looked much at the springs before I did my lid a few years ago. I am now tearing down the trailer again to add a hardsided folding camper/tent to the top. but my springs are looking pretty flat. I am wondering what they will look like after adding more weight!?

People complain about the stiff springs and that they are too heavy duty causing a harsh ride and roll overs and I hear about a lot of people swapping them out out, putting in air bag suspensions, independent trailing arms, or removing a few leafs etc... But my problem seems to be the opposite. I am concerned they are not stiff enough. What do you think? Are my leaf springs going to handle more weight?

This is the trailer completely empty, spare tire, gas cans, fenders etc all removed. Just a frame, tub, and lid. I took two photos, one of the trailer sitting on the ground under its own weight, one with the tub jacked up till the tire came off the ground, so you can see it "fully articulated".
P1020672.jpg

P1020670.jpg

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Perhaps your trailer just has a set of fatigued leaf springs. These are only 1/4 ton trailers to begin with so add in some tired springs and that's probably what you're looking at. If none of the leaves are broken you should be able to have them rearched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior