m416 to Land Rover Series Wheel Adapter?

telwyn

Adventurer
Can anyone point me in the right direction on this? I believe the m416 is a 5 on 5.5 wheel. I want to purchase adapters that allow me to use the 5 on 6.5 wheels on my Land Rover Series.

Is it as simple as finding 5x5.5 to 5x6.5 adapters? And if so, where can I find one? I've googled (maybe not very well) and am coming up empty.

Thanks in advance!

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I'm almost positive they would be custom. I think Spidertrax might make them.
I've got a Bantam T3 and want to look into adapting a series spindle and hub assy. to the axle tube flange. I think that might be the cleanest way to do it. But, so many projects, so little time....
Jason T.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Can anyone point me in the right direction on this? I believe the m416 is a 5 on 5.5 wheel. I want to purchase adapters that allow me to use the 5 on 6.5 wheels on my Land Rover Series.

Is it as simple as finding 5x5.5 to 5x6.5 adapters? And if so, where can I find one? I've googled (maybe not very well) and am coming up empty.

Thanks in advance!

We have ours made by Motorsport Technology www.motorsports-tech.com. They are not inexpensive due to the backspacing of the rims. For Land Rovers we have them made 3" thick, and we supply the Land Rover studs.

When buying adapters they need be at least as thick as the studs on the hubs on the trailer. If not you will end up having the cut the studs down to prevent them from protruding beyond the adapter. For us that's a minimum thickness of 1.5".

Your other considerations are taking into account the combined rim and tire backspacing, allowing for inward axle movement with leaf springs. We like at least 1" clearance on our trailing arm system to allow for airing down, yes the tire bulges on the top as well.

Land Rover rims are lug centric so that makes it simpler. E-mail me with specific questions.

shogun

Adventurer
wheeladapter.com

Its not rocket science. They will know the lug patterns involved, recommend you sort out the backspacing based on your tire choices.

About $120 each. I have heard not good things about spider whatever.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I took some VERY rough measurements yesterday. The spindles from a series rover rear axle might just bolt right on to my Bantam! It is tough to measure the bolt pattern of the spindles on the trailer but they are both 6 bolt so you could just clock the rover spindle and drill new holes. Now to figure out a way of making the parking brake work.
Jason T.

telwyn

Adventurer
Thanks, everyone. Appreciate the guidance. Sent an email to wheeladapter.com and will see how it goes from there.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
A week later and no reply from my email to www.wheeladapter.com so now I'm on to http://adaptitusa.com...

It will be interesting to see what pricing you get.

Regular "thin" adapters, say 1.25" thick or 1.5" think from a standard bolt pattern to a standard bolt pattern using regular wheel studs are usually not that expensive.

Land Rover adapter due to their thickness, non standard bolt pattern, and Land Rover studs make the exercise much more expensive.

telwyn

Adventurer
Well, apparently my request is too extreme for the folks at Motorsports-Tech to even reply to my email... :(

Amazing that of the 2 recommended vendors for wheel adapters don't even respond to emails.

Martyn, per your earlier offer to assist, I'm going to shoot you a pm about the adapter I need. Thx.

syke

Adventurer
Dragging up an old thread..... Telwyn.... did you ever get those adapters made? I'm in the market and I'd be curious what you found. Thanks

telwyn

Adventurer
My build totally stalled out for almost a decade (yikes) and has been finally resurrected this year. Haven’t solved the adapter problem yet, but do know I’m going with an axle-less suspension by Timbren for the trailer. My restoration shop that is doing the trailer and the Rover builds at the same time is going to figure out how to get the hubs and wheels on the Timbren to match the Rover. Will report back. Will likely have all of this sorted out in the next 60-90 days. http://timbren.com/axle-less/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94