M416 spring lift question.

rockwood

Adventurer
How much arch does the stock M416 spring have? I need to work up a lift for my M416 so it runs level behind my lifted and big tired Defender.

Thinking about going with these Rancho's spinges that people posted in another thread. They provide a nice lift. http://www.jegs.com/i/Rancho/801/RS44020/10002/-1?parentProductId=1674864 . But does anyone know the lift that the stock spring provides? I don't know if mine have gone flat or not. Not knowing the natural arch of the stock spring makes it difficult to know how much lift the Ranchos will actually get me.

I've identified Daystar spring shackles with lift and also taller but thin tires as two other ways to raise the trailer. Tire thinness valued to avoid conflict with fenders.

Appreciate your help, especially on the spring issue.

rockwood

Adventurer
Concern about the instability that I read about. Beyond that I haven't dug into it as an option.
Presumably I would need new spring perches? Would hate to lose the ebrake feature by flipping the axle over.

veetee

Why not do a simple spring over?

My M416 has SPOA to match the height of my lifted Defender, no problems with stability whatsoever, have trailed it 2.500 km this summer.
image~5.jpeg

Last edited:

rockwood

Adventurer
Seems I should look into SOA more. Nice 110. You using adapters to get the LR wheels mounted?

Last edited:

veetee

No, the previous owner did already an axle swap so the LR wheels (matt black Zu's with 265/70/16R on) just fitted without porblems. Must confess I don't know exactly which axle it is now - but is hydraulic brakes. At Sometime I must connect the brakes with a surging brake towball adapter ( is that goog english).
Thouh, this summer I took it on a 2500 km journy trough the Alps to Italy, only once I regretted the brakes were not in service yet, that was at a very long downhill slope of 14% - caravans and trailers forbidden there, but we did not see the sign due to a divertion, we orriginally wanted to use the tunnel which was closed at tat time. Next time preparation... :Wow1:

rockwood

Adventurer
Thanks, I'm being more convinced about the SOA approach than I was. Much easier as well.

Vincent. I like the series roof cap over your M416!

shogun

Adventurer
Spring-over is a large lift. I think it works out to 4"+. Thats alot of lift for, well, what? It does indeed affect stability, maybe you'll never flip it, but that doesnt mean its not less stable. Factor in the difficulty in accessing inside equipment because you cant reach over the rails or lift heavy things (fuel/water cans). Also, as in the pic, now you may have to lower the tongue.

Nope, just not necessary. Perhaps a smaller lift via shackles.

veetee

Also, as in the pic, now you may have to lower the tongue.

I choose to lower the tongue so I could use the original towball on the Land Rover, this is pure a insurance issue. In fact I rather would use the military coupling - NATO hitch on the x-member of the Defender and lunette on the trailer, without having to lower the tongue - but here the Netherlands you have insurance issues if using an other than legal and qualified set up.

shogun

Adventurer
I choose to lower the tongue so I could use the original towball on the Land Rover, this is pure a insurance issue. In fact I rather would use the military coupling - NATO hitch on the x-member of the Defender and lunette on the trailer, without having to lower the tongue - but here the Netherlands you have insurance issues if using an other than legal and qualified set up.

My point was that with such a significant lift of the trailer a change to the tongue height is very likely. Depends on the vehicle also, but a large change usually causes other issues. The 416 has a built-in two position reciever for the lunette which may or may not help.

I explored a spring-over option but thought it was way too much lift in addition to looking dorky.

rockwood

Adventurer
Nice warmer day here and got to dig the M416 out now that most of the firewood stored in it has been burnt.

The SOA routine looks to be remove wheels, disconnect ebrake, unbolt hubs, remove axle, resecure axle under springs, reposition hubs so the Ebrake can be reused, regrease bearings and renew anything in the hubs, put wheels back on and reconnect ebrake.

Looks like a satisfying job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier