M416 new axle help.

RangeDrive

Observer
My buddy borrowed my M416 order the weekend, and after about 4hrs of driving the axle pretty much blew up. The hub and wheel came off and the races are welded to the spindle. So I’m assuming I need a new axle. What do you guys recommend? Should I buy a custom axle or look into a Timbren setup?

Aftermath pics for you enjoyment ?

Attachments

• 3BB14ED2-DD56-4F0B-A213-09464DBCF4F2.jpeg
    3BB14ED2-DD56-4F0B-A213-09464DBCF4F2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • D987E01D-4CC8-49E3-BD49-C96D2809F473.jpeg
    D987E01D-4CC8-49E3-BD49-C96D2809F473.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • D71F3A35-CD70-4538-A298-E382820D7337.jpeg
    D71F3A35-CD70-4538-A298-E382820D7337.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38

RangeDrive

Observer
From here, the pictures are crappy. It seems not bad.
Were it mine, would just fix it. 30-50$ of bearing & seals. Maybe a new nut...

Is there a good link for instructions? I’m fairly mechanically minded but my issue is I have no idea what it’s supposed to look like when it’s not messed up lol. Also the nut seems like it might be welded to the threads of the spindle, and if that’s the case I’m assuming the axle will need to be replaced. If I’m wrong please correct me.

RangeDrive

Observer
Thank you for the reply! Last night I was able to get the nut off and it seems the threads are in good shape still, so I’m pretty relieved that I don’t have to replace the axle. I’m going to go and try and source the parts today and should have it all finished by the weekend!

old_CWO

you're not in the clear yet, just because you got the nut off doesn't mean the spindle isn't booger-ed up. Once it's disassembled and clean you should be able to assess the situation.

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
Give the folks at Kaiser Willys a call, they can help you get all of the needed parts. They will probably have all of them in stock. The axle/drum set yup is super basic and there are a ton of step by step instructions on how to put them back together (videos and pics too). The only reason that failed was preventable. Those things will run forever if you take the time once or twice a year depending on use to clean and regrease them. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Are you still using the parking brake feature?

[/URL]

RangeDrive

Observer
Give the folks at Kaiser Willys a call, they can help you get all of the needed parts. They will probably have all of them in stock. The axle/drum set yup is super basic and there are a ton of step by step instructions on how to put them back together (videos and pics too). The only reason that failed was preventable. Those things will run forever if you take the time once or twice a year depending on use to clean and regrease them. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Are you still using the parking brake feature?

[/URL]
Thanks! I sourced the bearings and races, now I just need a whole brake setup, and then it’s go back together. I hope I can find all of the brake components so I can keep the parking brake. I’ll give those guys a call!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles