M416 lid build

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
Fritzoc, I like this a lot, and will use it as a starting point for doing a top on my Bantam T3-C. I'll be interested to see what you use for a perimeter seal and how it turns out, too.

Wondering what entered the decision to have it open driver's side instead of passenger side? I've pondered that and can see an advantage to having it open curb side, so if I need to pull something out of the trailer while parked or on the side of the road to help someone, for example, I wouldn't be standing in traffic.

You're in KY, right? I may ask to stop by when coming down through there in the next month to see if your guy would do one for me. Design would be much the same, though a couple inches narrower for the T3-C than for an M416.

Thanks for posting the images and details.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Very nice lid and probably way lighter than mine. Had mine a few years and still works great. I like how struts were mounted.

Fritzoc

Observer
Fritzoc, I like this a lot, and will use it as a starting point for doing a top on my Bantam T3-C. I'll be interested to see what you use for a perimeter seal and how it turns out, too.

Wondering what entered the decision to have it open driver's side instead of passenger side? I've pondered that and can see an advantage to having it open curb side, so if I need to pull something out of the trailer while parked or on the side of the road to help someone, for example, I wouldn't be standing in traffic.

You're in KY, right? I may ask to stop by when coming down through there in the next month to see if your guy would do one for me. Design would be much the same, though a couple inches narrower for the T3-C than for an M416.

Thanks for posting the images and details.

Thanks. It open drivers side because I wanted it to open on the same side as the Jeep tailgate does.
Happy to show it to you and to connect you to the person who made it.

Fritzoc

Observer
01847cf3876f14ca61cbc161dcdf9923.jpg

Latch and lock side.

81417ce9a127fe2d6275ffda16220bc2.jpg

Tailgate does not open with the lid closed. Essentially self-locking. Suppose I can modify this if I realize that I want access the tailgate with the lid closed - in bad weather...

e3df8363b2ebeb1f54942c2664215510.jpg

Hinge side. Also a good view of the Thule tracks mounted on the lid.

418f6620f3e6c2fe00b23ebbc87f2ed1.jpg

Lid open. Painted the underside white for better light reflection. The black studs are the bolts holding the Thule tracks in place. Don't really protrude down too far, so they shouldn't detract from capacity. Used auto weatherstripping for the perimeter of the lid to seal it. Nice tight fit. Should be waterproof.

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
Whoa, Fritzoc, that's amazing! I'm glad you posted the update. That turned out just awesome, I mean, a really good looking trailer.

After pondering the amount of time and energy etc I'd have to put into my T3-C and M416 to get them the way I want for off-road camping--especially with no inside shop to work on them--and realizing I need something that can haul larger loads and stacks of flat sheet goods, I decided to get an XV-2 from Schutt. I might keep my T3-C, as it's more finished, though have both it and my M416 is for sale.

I'd still like to come see your trailer when I come through KY and get to know the guy that helped make your lid. Super job, Fritzoc, that's really impressive.

TripLeader

Explorer

I would suggest something to keep the tailgate chains from scratching up your new paint.
-----
I have chains on the outside of my tailgate as well. I took an old bicycle inner tube and ran the chains through sections of it to help with that issue.
-----
By the way, the trailer looks fantastic!

JRJKU

Observer
Painted looks,awesome! Can I ask where you sourced the latches, hinges and struts? Tia

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fritzoc

Observer
774f810de57abdf3f842ba6e35dc874f.jpg

Rear support legs in the stowed position. Had them welded on.

63445db3ee7dc95624d6c44a477f6196.jpg

Rear supports deployed.

0f4d69e1b59d4671f4384676846a1742.jpg

Tongue jack deployed. Trailer rolls like a dream.

dd85a1deeae069c5de935a7daf7c1eb9.jpg

Tongue jack can be stowed in this position, and I'll likely remove and keep tucked inside the trailer.

f07d567a567385263ac757f4c8dd14ff.jpg

New tires. Cooper ST Max 225/75/16. Same tire as on the jeep, but in a wheel/fender-friendly size. Not prepared to swap out the axle and wheel just yet.

7df3d4d723f4e15254add26161ea21f6.jpg

3eed5134b560db3ed03f0b61debb0eab.jpg

New Monroe shocks.

That's it for now. Ready to head up to the Vermont Overland Rally.

JRJKU

Observer
Nice! Where'd you get those? Following your design. Hope to post some pics soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles