M416 Hub Conversion to 6 on 5.5?

wyorunner

Observer
Alright everybody, ive looked a pretty good amount with different phrases here and used google, probably should have kept searching but I figure someone will know or have an idea.

What I want to do is run Toyota wheels on my M416 and keep the parking brake. Basically would like to swap just the hub to a 6 on 5.5 pattern not buy a whole new axle. Has anybody done this, seen it done, or have any information on how i can go about doing. Especially since I already bought a set of matching rims to my current sport rims on my 4Runner. Any Information, websites or part numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Turner

fireflyr

Adventurer
Here's a link for hubs that convert a Canadian M101 trailer:

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=247&SEName=l0655lb3e

And here's why they may or maynot work:

Quoted off IH8MUD: Those hubs are for the Canadian M101 trailer. If the M416 you own uses the same size bearings for the inner and outer bearings. Then there are no replacement hubs for that axle with the Toyota lug pattern. Some of the last M416s were built with the 3500# style axles (larger inner bearing and smaller outer bearing) and you can get the same hubs that are used to convert the Canadian M101 over to the Toyota pattern to convert that type of axle.

Here's a link to the whole thread:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/259614-m416-hub-conversion.html

I gave up on the idea on my M100 and made a mount for a spare. Good luck and post up if you find something else.

DSC02849.jpg

Things have changed color a bit

DSC03784.jpg

DSC03785.jpg

wyorunner

Observer
I found 1 option, i think its the same one in that thread over on ih8mud, and then desertdude did it on his M101. Im not currently with my trailer or id already be on the way to figuring this out. I need to pull the wheel and drum and hub to figure it all out. I will do that when i get home. Hopefully someone will be able to provide us with some insight before then.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
The brakes are for parking only, actuated by a lever mounted on the front of the trailer.

DSC02887.jpg

You misunderstood, I asked why not purchase a new trailer axle with electric brakes......controlled via a brake controller inside the cab using a 7 way round plug. I wish there was a way to engage elec brakes when the trailer is parked w/o running aux. batteries down. An arb air locker style air brake would be way cool!

A

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Presumably if the brakes are electric then some method of energizing them mechanically could be devised. The electric brakes work via an electro-magnet on a lever. Pull on that lever with a cable and you've got a parking brake.

For the hassle why not just carry some chocks? The TrailBlazer is a similar sized trailer and only when parking it sideways in my driveway have I wanted or needed any sort of chock.

wyorunner

Observer
I dont need electric brakes, ya id like them but dont need them. I may go that route one day, but for now i like the current setup, and its cheaper to not buy a whole new axle. Mind you, if i have to swap the whole axle to be able to run 6 on 5.5 YES i will get electric brakes, even though i dont particularly want to re wire the truck, oh well. So far i take it no one has converted from 5 on 4.5 to the 6 on 5.5? I think what im going to have to end up doing is find bearings that fit the drum off redneck-trailers.com and the axle that is on the trailer(original).

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I dont need electric brakes, ya id like them but dont need them. I may go that route one day, but for now i like the current setup, and its cheaper to not buy a whole new axle. Mind you, if i have to swap the whole axle to be able to run 6 on 5.5 YES i will get electric brakes, even though i dont particularly want to re wire the truck, oh well. So far i take it no one has converted from 5 on 4.5 to the 6 on 5.5? I think what im going to have to end up doing is find bearings that fit the drum off redneck-trailers.com and the axle that is on the trailer(original).

Ha redneck trailers, they: well one of their offices in in Tampa not that ithelps you but I know were it is. If you don't have to replace the hub assebly you could always opt for hub converter like a spacer just with an incoming lug pattern and an outgoing one.
http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_5_Lug_4_5_To_6_Lug_5_5_p/5450-6550.htm
but for $129 I mean a new elec braked axle is $360

A

njtaco

Explorer
For both (all) of you, Dexter makes an electric brake equipped axle WITH a cable actuated parking brake as well.

PAGE 27

Last edited:

dawsonc61

Observer
I converted my 416 from the 5 on 5.5 to the 5 on 4.5 for jeep wheels. I used a company A-Dapt-It-USA. Here is there web site. I'd just call them, tell them what you're doing (stress that this is for a trailer application not a passenger vehicle!), and they should be able to tell you whether or not it's do-able.

It's not cheap. mine cost like $70 per plus shipping!

D

wyorunner

Observer
Well there is a few more options, keep them coming guys. The more the better, because i know im not going to be the last one that wants this. XC, you plan on oging to 6 on 5.5? Cuz if not im going to have three of the original style wheels with almost brand new tread, one is brand new the other two have about 5000 miles that i put on them this summer going to wyoming and back. If i cant get the Hub set up, ill be getting that electric brake with parking brake axle. Im feeling pretty good about the hub setup though, may take a minute, but ive got plenty. The adaptitusa actually has a 5 on 5.5 to 6 on 5.5, which is reasonable, but not prefered, here.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
my problem with the adapter is how far it spaces the wheel out from the wheel well.

it pretty much puts the wheel mating surface inline with the outside of the fender.

wyorunner

Observer
my problem with the adapter is how far it spaces the wheel out from the wheel well.

it pretty much puts the wheel mating surface inline with the outside of the fender.

REALLY? it cant be that far out! but hey i dont know because im not with my trailer... good to know though. thats why im going to figure out a way to leave things the same by buying new drums with 6 on 5.5. it is now my goal to find an answer, and i will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94