M416 brakes

dschr409

I just picked up a M416. My question is do people just stay with the manual brakes?
Or is there a way to upgrade back plates on the brakes to add electric brakes or breakaway protection? I want it to be legal for the highway.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I found the easiest and cheapest way to add electric brakes to my 416 was to purchase a complete new axle with electric brakes and the wheel bolt pattern of my choosing. By the time I purchased new loaded electric brake backing plates and drums I would have spent close to the same amount I spent to purchase a complete new axle manufactured to my specifications.

krick3tt

Adventurer
It is only a 1/4 ton trailer and the thing has hand brakes to keep it from moving when it is not on a tow vehicle. Really not that easy to load enough in it to require electric brakes. You might get a surge brake if your tow vehicle is a very light.
Getting a different axle for your choice of a different wheel and bolt pattern might be functional but you might spend mote than the trailer is worth.

chunko

Observer
It could have some benefits off-road, I think. If it's loaded up it would be nice to have the electric brakes when you're going downhill on steep grades.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

dschr409

Thanks for the replies, I think this will be a project over time. I also feel the electric brakes would be helpful off-road. I think an open trailer with tarp and RTT frame to start will do.
Next year build out the tow bar and possibly the axle.

46flattie

Observer
Not sure what you are towing with but....I wish my M-416 had electric brakes....I tow it loaded with camping gear and primary with my Jeep CJ-8 on 33's. The Jeep brakes are in great shape and the front axle disc brakes have been upgraded to the larger 1/2 ton GM style due to being a D44, but they are not power assist. I feel that the current braking is "just" adequate for most conditions, but trailer brakes would be nice for emergencies/panic stops. I really have to stand on them in those instances. I am sure power assist on the Jeep would help, but I'd get more bang for my buck with trailer brakes based on this:

I have since built/modified a teardrop for overland use and put electric brakes on it...cost is minor compared to the added safety.

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
When traversing steep trails pulling an M416 or M100, you can apply the parking brake to "drag" the trailer. This makes it go from being pushed by the trailer to having to drag an anchor. The parking brake is awesome once the trailer is removed around camp.

Getrobbo

I removed the original brake and drums, cleaned up the axle and replaced them with hub and drums from etrailer.com The axle is a pretty standard 3500lb axle and the new stuff fit really nice. I have also got the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite brake controller, really good piece of kit and small when fitted. That way when traversing down a mountain, i'm not being pushed by the trailer.

*edit* I forgot to mention, I got the electric brakes hence the need for the brake controller.

dschr409

Thanks that’s about what I want to do. Do you know the part numbers that you purchased?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dschr409

Thanks that’s about what I want to do. Do you know the part numbers that you purchased?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94