M35A2 build

Furaites

Good day from Newfoundland Canada folks,

I currently own an M35A2 2.5t cargo truck, and have been thinking of an Expedition vehicle for a while.

Stem step 2, I am purchasing an 18 ft Trail Manor Camper to put on the back of it. Now due to it hitting the cab it needs to be mounted above the sides of the bed, 14” up. I have welders, fabricators and all sorts of professionals around me, but none of t hem seem to be able to see putting the truck and camper together.

Well I have lurked awhile, and seen some pretty smart and ingenious people around here, so I figure I would put it all to you. Any thoughts would be appreciated

HAF

I have an M36A3 which is basically an M2 with a CAT engine and Allison automatic transmission. I put a larger set of tires on it which has made it a lot more drivable (lower RPM's). Might want to consider modifying the camper and placing it on bed. Mounting it 14" above bed will make a pretty tall rig. Love driving these trucks.

Attachments

• m36a3.jpg
    m36a3.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 41

Furaites

Hmmm was worried about mounting it to the bed because of torsion and flex between the frame, bed, and camper. All closed up the trail manor is only about an extra foot higher then the cab when mounted on the bed.

Will have to look at modifying the camper though too. Thoughts about the flex issues mounted straight to bed...or just screw it and go with 3/4 pt mount?

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Look at how your bed is mounted. Should already have the flex issue under control. Just yank the axles and springs off and bolt it to the bed using some bolts and springs.

HAF

The bed on an M35 is mounted with a spring flex system. Look close on the inside of your bed and you will see mounting rings for stuff like shelters.

HAF

Picture shows an S280 shelter secured to bed.

Attachments

• m35s280.jpg
    m35s280.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 48

Furaites

Well, IDK what to call it.....good luck or bad luck...but the crew that was delivering the camper dropped it off the side of The truck...and totaled it. Well I am the hook for the trailer effectively, waiting for them to drop by the cheque in the next few days.

See what future awaits the ol M35

MTVR

Well, IDK what to call it.....good luck or bad luck...but the crew that was delivering the camper dropped it off the side of The truck...and totaled it. Well I am the hook for the trailer effectively, waiting for them to drop by the cheque in the next few days.

See what future awaits the ol M35

Wow...

MTVR

We are going to build our own box, to give us total control of dimensions, insulation, features, and so on. We're planning to build ours out of wood, much like a house, except we're going to use screws instead of nails, and we're going to use a urethane construction adhesive on everything.

MTVR

I guess I forgot to include pictures of our truck:

20200321_120609.jpg

It is a 2007 MTVR with about 3,000 miles on it. Where as the M35 is designed to carry 2.5 tons, the MTVR is designed to carry 15 tons- you could stack two M35s in the bed of an MTVR, and it would still have several tons of cargo capacity left over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles