M2 Freightliner Ambulance Conversion Project. 2007 Crew Cab

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I didn't see any lithium batteries, just cardboard boxes.
Nice, I'm working on a possible job where I'm going to upgrade a RV from AGMs to lithiums. I just gave the customer the estimate today and we'll see which way they go.

OverlandFT

Simple, functional mount for the compressor, I like it! Will you have enough battery power to run that mini split off grid?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Simple, functional mount for the compressor, I like it! Will you have enough battery power to run that mini split off grid?

Currently we are going with 560Ah of lithium so hopefully it will run it enough. This rig does still have a 7.5 kW diesel generator that I was going to remove. But we are looking at being full time living in this truck and working projects where I may not be able to always select my location based on the climate. So for now we will leave the generator in place, try it with 560Ah batteries and 840W of solar. Fingers crossed the generator never gets to 100 hrs ( I have only put 10 hours on it since installation).

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
How do you think the line sets will hold up to bending on open/close of the door?

The idea is to use all rubber hose and have a strain relief loop. Also there will be enough slack to let me drop the unit down to the ground.

java

Expedition Leader
The idea is to use all rubber hose and have a strain relief loop. Also there will be enough slack to let me drop the unit down to the ground.
Ah interesting! Hydraulic style lines? That would be perfect for me too..... Keep it up :)

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
We made them up out of hood hinges from some European car. I don’t have the details with me but the part number for the base unit is on my whiteboard I hope. We will be doing some more work on the design to add struts or actuators to lessen the risk of the bed squashing someone.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I just realized how long it has been since I updated this thread. So here goes:

June 2021 I semi retired and decided I needed more projects to keep me busy.

so in partnership with The rest of the family we went out and bought basically the last stock of dual cab freightliner ambulances (same as Big Red) that are pre 2007 DPF/DEF emissions. So we now have 8 Freightliner ambulances in the yard.

Then due to some other changes in our personal situation I also bought a 6x6 freightliner that used to be a shaker truck for geology surveys. It is monstrous. 10.3 liter Cat with a 9 speed manual, 3 air conditioners, lots of hydraulics. But it is still offsite waiting for me to get my ******** into gear and get it running. (It is too big to get towed from Yuma to Phoenix. 3 companies have refused the job once they have seen it). This one will most likely end up being our personal truck. It will be its own build thread.

and just for fun I also picked up a 1973 Triumph Bonneville that will need some work.

Work is still ongoing with Big Red and we did get a trip down into Baja in it late last year. Performed great like usual. Only issue was the a parking brake locking when we were back in the USA.

I also had the privilege of helping host the DIY/showcase area and let a lot of people check the truck out at Overland Expo Mountain West and Overland Expo West. Had a great time. Met some great people.

DDCF9FD7-38E8-4820-AF1E-7FCEAB31E626.jpeg
DB9DACBD-D2F4-40E9-A340-D58B36E8F802.jpeg
8CE240EA-5122-4C34-9E34-F8CF83059EE3.png
88495EFC-2CF5-45C1-A422-860A5D55FCA1.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles