M2 Freightliner Ambulance Conversion Project. 2007 Crew Cab

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
This is more for my information than of interest to most people. Here are the inflation charts for the tires I am currently running. 395/85R20 ZXL Michelin. Interestingly I cannot find a table that goes down to my axle weights for normal running (road) but the off road and sand/mud pressures are interesting. For reference 1 bar is 14.5 PSI and 1KG is 2.225 lbs say 2.2 for easy calculations. My truck is 12000 lbs or as an easy calculation 5500 KG on the rear axle so 2250 KG per wheel gives 1.8 bar on track and 1 bar in sand/mud. (27 PSI on track and 14.5 PSI mud and sand).

Michelin 395_85r20 XZL inflation chart special conditions.jpg

Attachments

• Michelin 395_85r20 XZL inflation chart special conditions.pdf
    35.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Michelin 395_85r20 XZL inflation chart special conditions.jpg
    Michelin 395_85r20 XZL inflation chart special conditions.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
Bevan said:
This is one of the reasons we went with an ambulance over a ******** box made from stapled 2x2s and plastic.

Fixed it for you.

There are plenty of quality RVs made on MDT chassis and commercial bus chassis, but as you pointed out, many are not.

Just like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. A 100k motorcoach that is 40 feet long and designed to be used a few times per year simply does not have the construction quality that an ambulance or a Greyhound bus, used in daily service has.

The down side to both of those is weight and cost/complexity. As you well know, an ambulance is a big heavy ********** for its size and can be a bear to work on.

If you need more tire info, PM BritBoaters, he used to work for Michelin truck tires.

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
As complicated as an ambulane can be, think about working on a motorhome. Ambulance wiring is labeled along its length and runs through convoluted tubing - I don't think you'd see that in any motorhome. Thankfully, my ambulance was built with relay and diode technology, so I can ttoubleshoot with a test light.

It's interesting that some ambulance buyers will request relay / diode technology versus a sometimes proprietary solid state system that can become obsolete fairly quickly

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Where to fit a spare tire. I have other plans for the cab roof and at 46” diameter and 17” wide and a shade under 400# there are not a lot of options.

Plus I still want to keep my bike rack on the back. So my latest epiphany is to make up a rack with a winch to lift the tire and it will also lift the bike on the rack.

Here is the start of the mockup.

4ccd9992936803a47f1f3a2c28943e4c.jpg

RiderBloke

Observer
Yes it is a little easier to lift and I don’t actually have a spare tire at the moment.

I saw a semi trailer on the freeway the other day and across the axle line near the rear of his flat bed he had two tyres strapped standing up on edge and I thought they must have been for you! And that was his whole load!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Some more sketchy mockups. My local trailer place had a few hitches on clearance so I grabbed this one which is about the correct width. Final configuration is waiting somewhere in my brain box but this is the general idea. Rear doors will eventually be sheeted over with a hatch/window at the top. And yes I know it’s not straight and level. This is all just bits of steel I had laying around the yard.

ddd0b14def538d47b2aa9674f92e3091.jpg
2b567ff0856741d6209555196c5ca5af.jpg
94fb960b3185f2d98ea4282fbfe14d8f.jpg

Coachgeo

Explorer
While Im a little to late... since your into the build already......

since yours is going to get offroad.... how are you going to remove the bike if you flop on your side and you want to ride back out toward better cell signal or into town for parts orrr...? This is my main complaint about most motorcycle, garages etc. put on Overlander/expedition rigs..... your .. escape pod.. so to speak.. is not accessible when you need it most.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
The bike will be strapped to a rail on the back of the truck. If the truck is on its side you cut the straps and drag the bike out. But the plan is to not to test out that theory.

As for being off-road, we always say that these are all road rigs. In theory the only off-road will be the last little bits to that perfect campsite.

Saying that we did have the example of the Unimog rig that tipped over on a. Road in Big Bend earlier this year. So things can go wrong with any type of vehicle and in any place.

Coachgeo

Explorer
The bike will be strapped to a rail on the back of the truck. If the truck is on its side you cut the straps and drag the bike out. But the plan is to not to test out that theory.
??? if you cut the straps won't the bike "fall off"???

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
My toolbox has been a pelican case with everything just tossed in. It was a 2 person job to put in and out of the truck. And it was a PITA to find anything. So on Black Friday last year I grabbed 10 of the Dewalt Deep Pro Organizers with the idea of using them for all the incidents spares. (Plumbing fittings, bolts, electrical etc). I decided that to assist with easing the weight of my tool box I would put the big items into a separate box. Here is the results. 32 # of 1”, 3/4 and large 1/2 sockets plus the IR impact gun and a torque multiplier. Biggest socket is 54mm. Since these things stack I will be making sure this one is on the bottom.

IMG_8554.jpeg

IMG_8555.jpeg

IMG_8556.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles