M116A3 / Lifetime Tent trailer mashup

VikingGinger

Figured I'd start a build thread here since I've been lurking around for ideas. I've had this lifetime tent trailer for a few years now and it's time for it to grow up a bit. The plan is to remove the bed from the M116A3, then remove the leaf spring mounts/tongue from the tent trailer and marry the two together. There will be plenty of modifications to the trailer, I'll update as things move along. Hopefully I'll be able to start working on it next month. Here's some pics...

IMG_20141114_120249956_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141114_130640475_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141114_131659097_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141114_131732781_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141114_122452075_HDR.jpg

m116a3.png

*** Update 12/11/14 ***
I've been out of town working quite a bit, but this is what happens when you leave a project at someone's place who's an overachiever... It looks better than I expected it to, pretty stoked!

on the lift.jpg

teardown.jpg

Axle.jpg

10863556_10152694821383229_166142741_n.jpg

mashup.jpg

Last edited:

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Interesting idea. I've been making upgrades to my Lifetime Tent Trailer over the years but I hadn't considered swapping it onto a new trailer frame. This'll be an interesting build to watch.

VikingGinger

Interesting idea. I've been making upgrades to my Lifetime Tent Trailer over the years but I hadn't considered swapping it onto a new trailer frame. This'll be an interesting build to watch.

These trailers are tough to beat for the price and what you get. I'm looking forward to having additional permanent storage solutions, ground clearance, and a beefier trailer for hauling firewood and such. Still lots of things to figure out but it should work pretty well!

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
These trailers are tough to beat for the price and what you get. I'm looking forward to having additional permanent storage solutions, ground clearance, and a beefier trailer for hauling firewood and such. Still lots of things to figure out but it should work pretty well!

You're right that they're a ton of bang for the buck - my wife and I still think this is one of our best 4-wheeling purchases! The first thing I did with mine was increase ground clearance by installing a set of 31x10.5R15 tires with some larger fenders to cover them. Now that I have a JK and I'm tired of having to carry a dedicated spare wheel/tire for the trailer, I'm going to be upgrading mine to a 3500lb axle and 5x5 lug pattern so I can use my Jeep's spare tire if the trailer ever has a flat. I also have a 0.188-wall 3-inch square tube to make a heavier-duty tongue. I've definitely pushed this trailer to its maximum capacity, but it's handled all the hauling and offroading duties I've subjected it to so far. Dump runs as pictured below are definitely not a problem in this lightweight trailer, but your heavy loads of firewood will benefit from the M116A3's heavy duty frame and axle.

P1050413a.JPG

VikingGinger

You're right that they're a ton of bang for the buck - my wife and I still think this is one of our best 4-wheeling purchases! The first thing I did with mine was increase ground clearance by installing a set of 31x10.5R15 tires with some larger fenders to cover them. Now that I have a JK and I'm tired of having to carry a dedicated spare wheel/tire for the trailer, I'm going to be upgrading mine to a 3500lb axle and 5x5 lug pattern so I can use my Jeep's spare tire if the trailer ever has a flat. I also have a 0.188-wall 3-inch square tube to make a heavier-duty tongue. I've definitely pushed this trailer to its maximum capacity, but it's handled all the hauling and offroading duties I've subjected it to so far. Dump runs as pictured below are definitely not a problem in this lightweight trailer, but your heavy loads of firewood will benefit from the M116A3's heavy duty frame and axle.

View attachment 257284

Looks familiar, used to pull it with a tracker? I'm pretty sure I've overloaded the trailer a couple times and your right about it being a tough little thing. My only complaint right now is the tent bag has gotten very brittle from being exposed to the sun and I can't get a replacement for it. I'll need to figure something out for that fairly soon.

bonomonster

Adventurer
Any chance we can see some pics of the lifetime tent frame and suspension. It's hard to find any pics online of what these look like underneath or up close.

This sounds like it is going to be an extremely cool build

VikingGinger

Any chance we can see some pics of the lifetime tent frame and suspension. It's hard to find any pics online of what these look like underneath or up close.

This sounds like it is going to be an extremely cool build

Here's a couple I have from when I put it together. Can't really see the suspension, but it's simply two leaf springs mounted to the frame and an axle. In the picture you can see the leaf spring hangers.

photobucket-1455-1326270289959.jpg

photobucket-1179-1326270308784.jpg

Here's some more pictures of the trailer being built and used

http://www.jeepasylum.com/showthread.php?1076-Lifetime-Tent-Trailer-from-Costco

GDSQDCR

Adventurer

I put a Dexter 3500lb on mine with 235/75/15 tires. A couple of weeks ago it was hauling 3/4 of a cord of Manzanita Firewood. No issues what-so-ever.

I am liking the idea of mating the two trailers, would really beef this trailer up. I will be watching to see how you do and how it turns out.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Looks familiar, used to pull it with a tracker? I'm pretty sure I've overloaded the trailer a couple times and your right about it being a tough little thing. My only complaint right now is the tent bag has gotten very brittle from being exposed to the sun and I can't get a replacement for it. I'll need to figure something out for that fairly soon.

Yeah, before the Jeep I had a Tracker. Pics can still be found on ExPo in other Lifetime Tent Trailer threads.

I've always wanted to protect the tent bag so I've kept the trailer garaged and I've always wrapped a tarp around the tent bag to keep dirt and UV rays off of it.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I put a Dexter 3500lb on mine with 235/75/15 tires.

Where did you source your axle? What width did you spec?
The reason I ask is because I'm setting mine up to be able to use my Jeep's 35" spare tire if ever needed. I'm using a pair of OEM JK wheels with 1.75" adapters for clearance over the trailer's spindle and hub assembly. I'll use 5x5 hubs with these 5x5 spacers. Based on my measurements, I need a 70" WMS-WMS axle. Online trailer axle customizers offer plenty of great options, but once the shipping cost is factored in the price is scary. I haven't yet spec'd an axle from a local trailer store to see what they would charge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online